Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    20


    Ahh okay a network deal. I'm sure they will want to keep up with the other guys so I'll have to wait patiently for their version of a 'Hopper'.
    Cheers!
    Matt J
    Aperion Audio
    Portland OR

  2. #12
    Administrator Tracy Rainwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13,323


    Xfinity is way behind on their DVR technology. Both DirecTV, Dish and Tivo offer DVRs that are far superior.

  3. #13
    Banned!!!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    -
    Posts
    525


    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Xfinity is way behind on their DVR technology. Both DirecTV, Dish and Tivo offer DVRs that are far superior.
    Other than multiple recording's I don't see much else thay can do!
    We have web control ovet the box - though I've never set it up honestly!
    The old lady only works a couple of days a week - it would break her heart if I didn't let her set-up the DVR's!
    Afterall - I pick all the titles we rent!

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Xfinity is way behind on their DVR technology. Both DirecTV, Dish and Tivo offer DVRs that are far superior.
    Comcast ("Xfinity") is now reliably cutting off anywhere from 30 seconds to 1-1/2 minutes of the end of EVERY show I record. I know that the content providers give the actual times their programs will run, and Comcast is apparently ignoring them. Comcast's "solution" to this is to tell me to add a minute or two of recording time to each program. However, if one is recording another program afterward, adding the minute to the first one causes Xfinity to say "you have a conflict, and now you can't record the second program." Is there some particular reason, besides not giving a damn about their customers, that Comcast can't remedy this problem? Do they have NO software engineers working for them? Did they buy some old programming from the '90s and refuse to ever update it?

  5. #15
    Administrator Tracy Rainwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13,323


    Quote Originally Posted by Stroon View Post
    Comcast ("Xfinity") is now reliably cutting off anywhere from 30 seconds to 1-1/2 minutes of the end of EVERY show I record. I know that the content providers give the actual times their programs will run, and Comcast is apparently ignoring them. Comcast's "solution" to this is to tell me to add a minute or two of recording time to each program. However, if one is recording another program afterward, adding the minute to the first one causes Xfinity to say "you have a conflict, and now you can't record the second program." Is there some particular reason, besides not giving a damn about their customers, that Comcast can't remedy this problem? Do they have NO software engineers working for them? Did they buy some old programming from the '90s and refuse to ever update it?
    Unfortunately this is the case with every DVR that I have owned. Delays due to sporting events are the worst, they never seem to get it right on the actual show start times.

  6. #16
    Senior Member mrhookup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,660


    ;Name:  TIVOPremierXL4.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  13.8 KB
    \*04=7\*0 If you are unhappy with the DVR's from provider's, why not consider the TIVO Premiere XL4? Many options and it comes with a 1 TB HD. You can also add another 1 TB HD to it. It will accept cable cards and it has 4 tuners. Yes, Comcast/Xfinity is IMHO, the worst providermost complaints. Now they call themselves Xfinity, but it's still the same ol' Comcast. TIVO is not your cheapest way to go, but it's superior. I've had them all (Comcrap, Dish Network, Direct TV, FIOS). I'm most happy with FIOS. It's not perfect, but satisfying.
    Jeffrey S. Albaugh
    A/V is only as good as the weakest link

  7. #17
    Administrator Tracy Rainwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13,323


    Tivo used to suffer from the same programming issues as Stroon was talking about. I loved my Tivos back when DirecTV used their hardware. The issue that I have with the current Tivo platform is that unless you buy Lifetime Plan, you pay monthly for the service in addition to buying the DVR. Back when they had an agreement with DirecTV, you simply paid a monthly DVR fee.

  8. #18
    Moderator jerrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Abq, NM, USA
    Posts
    7,589


    I'd also like to see them upgrade the old Scientific Atlanta 8300, While it does get the job done, it is certainly no Tivo; it is only "adequate", IMO. Padding your recordings is a problem for all dvrs due to inaccurate guides. The guide for Comcast's 3D channels was/is wildly off.
    JR

  9. #19
    Senior Member mrhookup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,660


    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Tivo used to suffer from the same programming issues as Stroon was talking about. I loved my Tivos back when DirecTV used their hardware. The issue that I have with the current Tivo platform is that unless you buy Lifetime Plan, you pay monthly for the service in addition to buying the DVR. Back when they had an agreement with DirecTV, you simply paid a monthly DVR fee.
    *0
    Tracy I never said TIVO was cheap. It's not, but it is a step up for sure. More options.
    Jeffrey S. Albaugh
    A/V is only as good as the weakest link

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Unfortunately this is the case with every DVR that I have owned. Delays due to sporting events are the worst, they never seem to get it right on the actual show start times.
    Oh, if it were only a matter of shows displaced by sporting events (which Comcast never even comes CLOSE to getting right)!!! Alas, this business of cutting off beginnings and endings is endemic and affects even shows that are on at their regularly scheduled times. I am inclined to look into the Tivo, as I'm paying about the same per month for the Comcast box (2 tuners) as I would for the Tivo (4 tuners, which should alleviate the problem). Oh how I wish there were competition in the cable market; crap outfits like Comcast would get their act together pretty fast or be cast adrift without any subscribers. As it is, they can just ignore complaints -- and they do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Luxury Publishing Group Inc.
12400 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1140 | Los Angeles, CA 90025 | 310.860.9988
©2011 Luxury Publishing Group. All Rights Reserved
For our Privacy Poliicy, ad specs and contact
info please click here