What's on Your Affordable Musical Preamp List? (Is there such a thing?)

As much as I love movies, music is still my first love. Over the years my home theater interest has blossomed but at the expense of my system's musical performance. Let's face the harsh truth, most of the the current crop of home theater preamps are wonderful for movies but just so, so for music.

Help a guy out. What preamps would you consider both musical and affordable. As much as I love to hear about the Krell, Classe and Mark Levinson, those manufacturers are not on the affordable radar.

HA, I missed this thread coming over from The Spot. I have kept my eyes open for a Proceed Pre and an Adcom GFP-750.

Anything new out or coming out soon, under $1000, that's worth checking into?

You might be able to strike a deal on this and get close to your budget. I've had one and really enjoyed mine.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....P-98-Linestage

NAD C 390DD looks interesting and is getting some very good reviews.

Junior Member Broadcast Engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S View Post
    As much as I love movies, music is still my first love. Over the years my home theater interest has blossomed but at the expense of my system's musical performance. Let's face the harsh truth, most of the the current crop of home theater preamps are wonderful for movies but just so, so for music.

Help a guy out. What preamps would you consider both musical and affordable. As much as I love to hear about the Krell, Classe and Mark Levinson, those manufacturers are not on the affordable radar.
    Affordable and great sounding analog 2ch system:

McIntosh C-28 pre-amp. $400 or less for good examples, plus a bench fee to have it checked for PS cap condition. A rather under-rated pre. It is pleasing to listen to and has a good field.

Carver TFM-15CB 100Wpc power amp $200 or less for better than good examples. Ensure that the PS caps have been changed to 63v 15000uf. The 50V originals are working at the bleeding edge. Every single one of these that has crossed my bench has had bad PS caps...

This combo has great musicality... The padded handle of the Mac and the razor edge of the Carver shake hands well...

Sources, interconnects and speakers to taste...
    Jerry Beck
    Recording and broadcast engineering.
    From quadruplex VTRs to media servers and all stops in between...