Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Robinson View Post
    There's nothing to be suspicious about. As opposed to many of today's modern speaker designs the Pendragons aren't total pigs meaning 200-Watts is likely overkill however I'm juicing them with 250 and they show no signs of slowing down or worse blowing up.

Grills are offered but are a $100 upcharge.
    I guess I'm used to seeing 400 watts or more listed. Mine say 700 watts but I know this is not the norm even with them being 4 ohm speakers. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Mine say 1.21 Giga Watts!
    Requires a "flux capacitor" to run them

RayJr
    Certified THX Video Calibrator
    Certified Audyssey Installer

My Media Room

Quote Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
    Mine say 1.21 Giga Watts!
    Requires a "flux capacitor" to run them

RayJr
    Very funny Ray "McFly".

At 98db efficiency your ears would bleed before you got ner to using anywhere near 200 watts unless you had a huge room and sat quite far from the speakers....

That's a great looking set up. It's kind of thrilling that these babies seem to be living up to expectations/anticipation in terms of sound. I love that color and flanking a TV they don't seem nearly as outsized as they would have, for instance, in my living room, where the mock-ups I constructed dwarfed the mantle and an emphatic "no f-ing way" from my other half. I really want to hear these.

I totally get Jerry's concerns. When a company is putting out a product line as good as Tekton Design and is built around the talents and personality of a single and singular guy like Eric Alexander there is a desire for him and his company to succeed and you want to make sure that the company can become fully established and secure. I would guess that Tekton will find a way to thrive and will do so in ways that are as unique as the speakers they build.

Did I mention I want to hear these?

And, yeah, RayJr. really hates stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
    And, yeah, RayJr. really hates stereo.
    Stephen,

Not sure I would use the word "Hate"....but why try and create a phantom center...when I have a real center

RayJr
    Certified THX Video Calibrator
    Certified Audyssey Installer

My Media Room

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post

Did I mention I want to hear these?
    You're welcome to when ever you're in town. These babies aren't going anywhere .

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Robinson View Post
    You're welcome to when ever you're in town. These babies aren't going anywhere .
    cool. thanks. You will definitely be taken up on that invite.

Another Guest Stops By To Hear The Pendragons

A good friend of mine and fellow AV enthusiast stopped by this weekend to hang out, catch up and of course listen to what I had just sittin' around the house -okay he wanted to hear the Pendragons. As a fan of affordable audio gear (who isn't these days) as well as SET tube amplifiers the Pendragons, on paper, seemed right up his alley. Knowing that I've been playing around with my system's configuration he allowed me a little leeway since I have yet to get my HTPC 100-percent dialed in and I'm still playing with the Pendragon's final placement -oh, and I moved my listening position back seven inches and have not re-EQ'd my subwoofers for the change. Other than that we were set to demo. I had put a demo playlist together of both music and movie clips, at the end of which I thought we'd discuss what he had experienced -that was the plan anyway. It only took one song, okay, about 90-seconds of one song, before he exclaimed, "holy crap!". I stopped the demo immediately and asked what was wrong. The exchange went something like this:

Friend: How much are these?
    Me: $2,500 a pair.
    Friend: Is the paint job standard?
    Me: No, this particular color I think is a $200 up charge.
    Friend: Who makes these things?
    Me: Tekton Designs.
    Friend: Do you have their number?
    Me: Why?
    Friend: I think I'm going to have to get a pair.
    Me: What do you like about them?
    Friend: Remember that time we hung out at Brooks Berdan LTD and listened to Wilson's all afternoon? Remember that shit-eating grin we both had the whole time we were listening, how we heard things we never heard before?
    Me: Yeah...
    Friend: (shoots me his shit-eating grin face) I can't afford Wilsons.
    Me: That good.
    Friend: Dude, these things are awesome.

He listened intently for the better part of an hour before speaking again. After our discussion I think he's going to pick up a pair of the M-Lores for after the shock and awe of the Pendragons wore off a bit he began to think practically about their physical stature and concluded that it was probably less expensive to inquire/buy the M-Lore rather than buy a new house just so he could fit the Pendragons. I told him the Pendragons play nice in small environments too but agreed that if he wanted to listen at spirited levels the Pendragons would probably blast him out of his chair. Still, he closed with this comment:

Friend: $2,500 huh, they'll save you some money on subwoofers.
    Me: You think so?
    Friend: Yeah, who needs 'em. The 'Dragons play friggin' low.

I'm curious if he'll go through with it and buy a pair of M-Lores or if on his long plane ride home he doesn't figure out a way to make Pendragons work in his house.