Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Tekton Design Pendragon Loudspeaker -The OFFICIAL Thread

It's been a long week for me but my wait is finally over as my Pendragons have arrived. Finished in BMW Mineral Grey Metallic (now a standard color -you're welcome ) and standing a mighty 55-inches tall on their spikes the Pendragons are as much a visual tour de force as they are an aural one. Say what you want about their "boxy" appearance, the finish is every bit as good as Wilson Audio and at $2,500/pair they're among the more -or most -affordable full-range options out there. I've only begun to scratch the surface of what these babies can do, but in the meantime here are some initial photos from my room.

Name:  PENDRAGON_01.jpg
Views: 8064
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  PENDRAGON_02.jpg
Views: 7216
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  PENDRAGON_03.jpg
Views: 8669
Size:  94.9 KB

Tekton Design Pendragon Specifications

Drivers
    Dual 10-inch trandsducers
    3 x 1-inch tweeter

Power Handling
    200 Watts

Sensitivity
    98dB 1W@1m

Impedance
    8 Ohms

Frequency Response
    20Hz-30kHz

Dimensions
    Height 54" x Width 12" x Depth 16"

Gorgeous speakers. Look like Italian drivers ( can't recall the name offhand...probably the Malbec!). Nice to see some good looking super high efficiency Speakers.

MSRP?

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    Gorgeous speakers. Look like Italian drivers ( can't recall the name offhand...probably the Malbec!). Nice to see some good looking super high efficiency Speakers.

MSRP?
    The drivers are sourced from the pro-audio world, which is one of the reasons behind their efficiency and speed. I can't place the tweeters but am looking into it. The combo is beyond my wildest expectations, even this early in the game. As for the MSRP...

Pendragons retail direct for $2,500/pair!!!

And no that is not a typo.

RayJr. just left my house after demoing the Pendragons and I think he was more than just a little impressed. Hopefully he'll share his thoughts with the class .

Thanks for putting me on the spot......Buddy hehe

Well...I have to say that I was very impressed.
    First thing I noticed.....DAMN they are BIG.
    Next Andrew put on a disc I brought over....let the DEMOING begin...........WOW.....HUGH sound stage that still had a very well defined center image.
    I was hearing things way far left and right..outside the physical location of the speakers...and other things very well defined in between the speakers....every thing blending together seamlessly. The other thing I notices was the smoothness and full range sound of the speaker ... I was thinking that they would be upper midrange shy just from looking at the driver design ..but that was not the case. They also extend very low....but I personally need a Subwoofer

I personally am NOT a 2 Channel guy.....but I can imaging what a full surround system of these speakers would sound like "Total Sound Envelopment"

This is just my Non Audiophile $.02 review

Later
    RayJr
    Certified THX Video Calibrator
    Certified Audyssey Installer

My Media Room

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I think the hard part about any new AV business is making sure that companies build in enough margins for things like: advertising (not that I am biased on that topic, rep margins, international distributors, shipping issues, overhead, trade shows and more.

Larger speakers like this cost almost as much to "find a client" than smaller speakers thus if these speakers are successful, Tekton could get rolling a little.

There seems to be a small but strong group of people who will support the upstart speaker companies especially when they deliver on sound, value, colors, finishes and more...

Go Tekton!

Very interested in hearing more about these speakers. The finish looks great and the price is right. I am somewhat suspicious of the 200 watts power handling. Not that 200 watts is a bad thing, I'm just used to a bit more power handling.

Do they offer grills? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I am somewhat suspicious of the 200 watts power handling. Not that 200 watts is a bad thing, I'm just used to a bit more power handling.

Do they offer grills? Just curious.
    There's nothing to be suspicious about. As opposed to many of today's modern speaker designs the Pendragons aren't total pigs meaning 200-Watts is likely overkill however I'm juicing them with 250 and they show no signs of slowing down or worse blowing up.

Grills are offered but are a $100 upcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I think the hard part about any new AV business is making sure that companies build in enough margins for things like: advertising (not that I am biased on that topic, rep margins, international distributors, shipping issues, overhead, trade shows and more.

Larger speakers like this cost almost as much to "find a client" than smaller speakers thus if these speakers are successful, Tekton could get rolling a little.

There seems to be a small but strong group of people who will support the upstart speaker companies especially when they deliver on sound, value, colors, finishes and more...

Go Tekton!
    I think it's difficult if you choose to look at a new business and judge its success based on old ideals or how it compares to large corporations such as Mark Levinson or the like. Not that there is anything wrong with ML -there isn't - but not all companies wish to be ML and wanting them to be isn't going to change the way some chose to do business.

One of my favorite companies in the AV space is Decware and I love them because they've stayed true to their ideals and after nearly 20 years the company they were on day one is still intact even if their product lines have expanded and employment swelled. Is it sexy? No. Do they grace the covers of Stereophile or Absolute Sound? No. But how many companies have that are no longer with us? I can think of about a half dozen just off the top of my head. Being the next Wilson Audio, Bowers & Wilkins or even Emotiva isn't for everyone.

I can't say if its for Tekton, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I can say that the folks involved with Tekton know what they're doing and stand by their products 100-percent.