Connectivity Confusion

With today's components it's a bit confusing as to which component should handle the video processing and even more confusing as to how to connect to each component. As far as video processing goes - do you set up the blu ray player. The projector. Or the processor. To handle video processing!?? I have the Sony VPL HW 30AES Projector. An Oppo BDP-93 and the Marantz AV7005 processor. Now. Do I connect the Oppo directly to the projector and use the Oppo to calibrate the picture? If I do would this be the same settings for bluRay as it would for DVD? OR! Do I connect everything thru the Marantz and use the Marantz for its video calibrations. Every review I read talks about various components and their video processor yet I've yet to read as to how to connect what and which component would do what. Is it all DVI to the processor? The DVI to the projector then to the processor? A bit confusing

With the stellar video processing of the Oppo 93, I'd set the Marantz to pass thru the signal fed from it.. Ie go into setup, then input setup, then video, then ensure you select the source you want to adjust (bluray in this case, or "source" if you're already in that source) and select Off for video convert.

STeve

Quote Originally Posted by Ihop View Post
    With today's components it's a bit confusing as to which component should handle the video processing and even more confusing as to how to connect to each component. As far as video processing goes - do you set up the blu ray player. The projector. Or the processor. To handle video processing!?? I have the Sony VPL HW 30AES Projector. An Oppo BDP-93 and the Marantz AV7005 processor. Now. Do I connect the Oppo directly to the projector and use the Oppo to calibrate the picture? If I do would this be the same settings for bluRay as it would for DVD? OR! Do I connect everything thru the Marantz and use the Marantz for its video calibrations. Every review I read talks about various components and their video processor yet I've yet to read as to how to connect what and which component would do what. Is it all DVI to the processor? The DVI to the projector then to the processor? A bit confusing
    Oh, as for connections, I would go into the Marantz via hdmi and then out to the Sony to it's hdmi. Will minimize the chance of having audio sync issues.

I was thinking that the Marantz and the Oppo had the same video processor, the ABT2015 from Anchor Bay, but I agree with you Steve. It's just easier to switch the AV7005 to pass through. You also have the advantage of letting the preamp handle the switching. I like not having to change the input on two different devices.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    With the stellar video processing of the Oppo 93, I'd set the Marantz to pass thru the signal fed from it.. Ie go into setup, then input setup, then video, then ensure you select the source you want to adjust (bluray in this case, or "source" if you're already in that source) and select Off for video convert.

STeve
    That's how I do it.

Richard

So if I'm understanding this correctly - I connect the oppo to the Marantz via hdmi and the Marantz to the Sony projector. I do a video calibrations ie; black level, color, tint , etc thru the Oppo. Blu ray as well as DVD. Then for fios cable I should run hdmi to the marantz and then do the video processing thru the Sony.

You are correct about the connections, Ihop. My opinion is that the video processing will be similar in both the Marantz and the Oppo. The Oppo might have a slight advantage for DVD upconversion, so it's just easier to let the Oppo do all the work and set the Oppo's input on the Marantz to pass through. Now for your cable box, I bet the Marantz would be better than the FIOS box. Not sure about the Sony's processing capabilities. Try it both ways and see if one looks better.

The calibration however, should be done in the projector's CMS, color management system.