Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sanus CFR2136 Installation

I finally got tired of the wiring mess behind my TV.

Here's what the front of TV currently looks like, some of the wiring mess is hidden.

Figure 1 Name:  Figure 1 .jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  62.7 KB

I chose the Sanus CFR2136 because I was happy with the existing Sanus furniture racks on each side of the TV. The CFR2136 comes with an excellent assortment of parts already assembled which was a big help to me. I could start without having a design in mind requiring parts to be ordered.

Figure 2 Name:  Figure 2 .jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  97.6 KB

My existing system, while working fine, was a nightmare to make changes to. It was almost impossible to walk behind the TV. 14 pairs of RG6 Quad Shield and six coax cables from the satellite antenna exit the rear wall behind the TV. In addition, DirecTV's multi-switch and various multiplexing hardware are mounted on the wall behind. Wiring between the two racks added to the problem. My previous choice to expand my home theater by adding a second rack was a huge mistake.

The first task was to start taking the system apart.

Figure 3 Name:  Figure 3.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  87.0 KB

Figure 4 Name:  Figure 4 .jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  86.6 KB

Assembling the Sanus rack was a trial and error approach for me, never having used a rack like this before. The rack has plenty of space and comes with eight shelves.  The rack will meet most people’s needs. I started the installation process at the bottom with the heaviest items and worked my way up. I installed the amplifier on the bottom of the rack requiring a intake grill above the amplifier and an exhaust fan installed at the back of the rack in line with the grill. I had purchased an ultra-quiet 1U fan to put above the Integra pre-pro but I didn’t think it was necessary because the pre-pro ended up mounted high so the top exhaust fan, planned, should easily cool it. I mounted the power supply and task light above the pre-pro. Of all the equipment in the rack, the pre-pro is the only one that might require viewing occasionally. The power supply has a task light switch and the task light completely illuminates the pre-pro. I installed a 3U exhaust fan in the top of the rack. In order to make room you have to twist out one of two plates in the top. I ended up removing both plates because it was easier to remove the burrs left behind from the twist tabs.

When the wiring was completed and the system run, it was evident that the top 3U fan wasn’t cooling the Integra as expected. I installed the 1U ultra-quiet fan on the back of the rack, blowing air across the Integra which kept the pre-pro cool to the touch. I put the 1U fan in the back so I didn’t have to move everything in the front to make room. I will move the fan to the front to keep all the air moving from front to back. I then removed the top fan and replaced it with an exhaust grill. The rack is cooling the equipment but the thermostat doesn’t shut off the fans even with the sensor on the outside of the rack. I may have a bad sensor.

Fiigure 5-A Name:  Figure 5-A (Copy).jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  78.9 KB

Figure 5-B Name:  Figure 5-B.jpg
Views: 3033
Size:  87.9 KB

The rack isn't finished, the HTPC is a 1/4" too wide to fit, so I need to purchase a case made for a 19" rack. I also need some additional cables, some shorter & some longer. Figure Five is almost complete. I’m not happy with the unbalanced look, but moving the TV off center doesn’t seem like a good choice. The Sanus rack was a pleasant surprise, I highly recommend it. The system has been running for one day, additional changes may take place.

Parts I purchased:
    (2) CAFH01 3U Exhaust fan
    CAFC01 Ultra Quiet Fan 1U
    CAPT01 Multi-volt Power Supply
    CALT01 Task Light
    CAPW06 6' Power Wire (Pack of 2)
    (2) CASC25-B1 Screws (25 screws)
    (2) CAVBP3 Vented 3U covers

Notes:
    You need to purchase screws, accessories do not come with screws.
    No ventilation grills are included.
    Ecosystem revolves around the power supply. The Fans come with 3' power cords which are too short to reach the bottom of the rack unless you place the power supply in the center of the rack.
    I purchased the three fan version because it was the same price as the two fan version. My thinking was to disconnect one of the three fans if the noise was too loud. It’s difficult to determine the amount of fan noise until the rack is full. The fans are rived together which was a surprise to me. I can still do this, just a little more work to remove the rivets.
    I don’t plan on using a front or rear door.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by k0rww; 06-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Richard

WOW Richard, that looks great. I really like the fact that you can roll it out to access the back if needed. Thanks for the photos.

yes. Very impressive. You have to have a moving rack for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    WOW Richard, that looks great. I really like the fact that you can roll it out to access the back if needed. Thanks for the photos.
    Hi Tracy,

Rolling is harder than you might expect. It would be easy to tip the rack over, even with all the weight at the bottom.

I don't know where the last imge came from. I was afraid to delete it because it said attached images. With my luck, all the images would disapear. I did manage to eliminate some of the shadows in the picture but not the reflection on the TV regardless of where I turned the two lights.
    Richard

Photo doesn't look that bad, but if you are looking for another DIY project.........

DIY Softbox for About $20

I suppose the casters don't do as well on carpet. Maybe you could try some of those little "furniture sliders" under the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Photo doesn't look that bad, but if you are looking for another DIY project.........

DIY Softbox for About $20

I suppose the casters don't do as well on carpet. Maybe you could try some of those little "furniture sliders" under the legs.
    I would prefer to buy one, but probably not after seeing the price.
    Richard

Love it! Another Sanus rack owner on the forum. I'll never put my gear in anything else.

The SilverStone PC cases work great in the Sanus racks BTW. Form factor matches Integra too. Just in case you were curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Robinson View Post
    The SilverStone PC cases work great in the Sanus racks BTW. Form factor matches Integra too. Just in case you were curious.
    Thanks, I had intended to ask what you used because I couldn't remember. I was not a happy camper when I tried to squeeze the HTPC into the rack. Why build a horizontal PC case within a 1/4 inch of fitting into a 19" rack?
    Richard

Have you tried flipping one of your shelves upside down and placing the HTPC atop it that way? Sometimes those precious few cm are all it takes with the rack ear metal facing down versus up. Just a thought.