Thread: Laser Disc

Banned!!!

Laser Disc

I still find myself watching LD's occassionally since I have such an extensive LD collection. Some of these are not available on DVD, and some that are have cut out alot of what is on the LD. Also, I burn LD's to DVD which is also better since there is no macrovision. An example my Prince Greatest Hits has many more songs then what is available on DVD. I still have 2 Pioneer LD Players that are the higher end units (Dual side play). One I use at my dubbing station where I can burn from LD, DVD, and even VCR. The other is in my HT for whenever I get the urge to watch LD on my Projector.

I remember back in the early days of DVD, the only DVD rental place was about 30 miles away. Luckily I worked there a couple of days a week. They had a TON of laser discs that they rented as well. Sadly, Blockbuster ad Hollywood Video moved in and they, a small Mom & Pop store, went out of business.

Now, Hollywood Video is out of business and Blockbuster closed up the two stores in that town. Sad.

Aren't you running a video processor? I assume you are using it to scale the LD player too.

Banned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I remember back in the early days of DVD, the only DVD rental place was about 30 miles away. Luckily I worked there a couple of days a week. They had a TON of laser discs that they rented as well. Sadly, Blockbuster ad Hollywood Video moved in and they, a small Mom & Pop store, went out of business.

Now, Hollywood Video is out of business and Blockbuster closed up the two stores in that town. Sad.

Aren't you running a video processor? I assume you are using it to scale the LD player too.
    No, Tracy, I use it rather infrequently, so it suits my purpose just fine. There's an old saying: you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Even when I burn LD > DVD, it looks good. It's 400+ lines of resolution; miles better then VHS.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I gave up on Laserdisc (note its spelled one word - sorry to be geeky) when DVD-Video came out.

Smaller disc - just as good if not better performance.

With Blu-ray out - why in the world would you want to watch Laserdisc at this point? I guess its better than streaming in terms of quality but not in terms of selection.

Banned!!!

Jerry: I agree with you, but I have a large Laserdisc collection, some of this is not available on DVD. Thye newer DVD's give you less material on the disc (charge you more, give you less). I guess that's capitalism. When I burn LD to DVD, DVD to DVD, I cannot discern the difference in quality. Of course, when I burn from VCR to DVD, it's crappy, but I do it for a customer occasionally. (Very Crappy Resolution). I guarentee you that I have LD's you have never seen or knew about. I could give you a list of them, if you would like.

So what titles do you have that are not available on DVD?

Used to be that Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones were the big LD titles.

Banned!!!

Tracy: I apologise that I didn't respond to you sooner on this, but I was away for a week with the family @ the Ocean. My daughter, son in law, grandaughter came as well. Anyway, I have now enclosed my LaserDisc Collection. I only wish that I had not sold my Audiophile Vinyl collection; it was huge and valuable. To give you an idea of how valuable: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on UHQR (ultra high quality record on JVC Supervinyl cut at 1/2 speed, Special Box with serial number {low} and certificate of authenticity. What an idiot I was to sell it. I also sold my Philips 212 Turntable w/ Shure V15 Type 5 cxartridge! Major blunder. Name:  LaserDisc1 001.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  79.2 KBName:  LaserDisc2 001.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  86.9 KBName:  LaserDisc3 001.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  84.9 KBName:  LaserDisc4 001.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  79.0 KB

That is a pretty nice collection, especially the music titles.