Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    M&K S150s across the front, SS150s across the back (4). All are 4ohm loads.
    A23 for surrounds should do just fine then.

I've heard the Parasounds before and love the sound of them. Furthermore, a few of my fellow AV writers have had the Outlaw amps and Parasound amps side by side and every one of them recommend the Parasound (if I can afford the price difference).
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Andrew,

What do you say about the quality of performance of the Halo A31 over the Parasound NewClassic Model 5250 v2?

Quote Originally Posted by BassEarDrum View Post
    Andrew,

What do you say about the quality of performance of the Halo A31 over the Parasound NewClassic Model 5250 v2?
    That is a much, much tougher question, as both are good. I'd probably give the slightest of edge to the Halo's still as they do have that high-bias Class A operation, which can be addictive for some and is something the Classic line does not have. Though if money is tight the 5250 v2 is just stunning and 90% the amp (IMHO) as the Halo A51. However, I prefer the 5250 v2's back panel layout to the A51's as it is much easier to live with day-to-day.

For the record I run an A21 and an A31 in my system, which I acquired to replace my 5250 v2. The 5250 v2 was my reference for almost two years and was acquired as a "step up" from my Outlaw 7500, which I used for five years!

Andrew! Have you ever listened to the JC1 mono blocks.????

Quote Originally Posted by LanGood View Post
    Andrew! Have you ever listened to the JC1 mono blocks.????
    I have but I have not owned them personally. They're phenomenal. I'd argue those, Pass Labs' XA or Krell's 402e are the three finest amplifiers I've ever heard. The fact that the JC1s cost less than half as much as the Pass and 25% as much as the Krell is a testament to not only their sound but also their value. If I were to step up to JC1s it would probably be my last move. That being said, I really do enjoy my A21 and A31 amps so the urge to splurge isn't strong right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerpt View Post
    Hey guys!
    Just wanted to pass along that I purchased the Halo A31. I had to send back the Outlaw 7700 due to the treble being very harsh with my Monitor Audio GS speakers. No knock on Outlaw.....the rest of its performance was excellent and it was built like a tank. The performance of the Halo has been perfect right out of the box! Andrew recommended the 5250v2, but I chose the Halo only because I had auditioned the A52 earlier. I did not have the luxury of a 30 day return policy on this one with my dealer. I wanted to thank Andrew, Jerry, and Tracy for all their help. Keep up the great work guys!
    Congratulations on your A31.

Out of curiosity, did you have the Outlaw 7700 plugged directly into the wall or into a power conditioner.

I ask this because my 7500 did not sound good at all. Pretty much like you described with a harshness on the upper end until I plugged it directly into my 20 amp circuit and now it sounds sweet.

- Rich

Hey Rich,
    I did have the amp plugged into a quality power conditioner. I originally biamped my mains, which sounded very harsh. I stopped biamping, which helped smooth out the treble but not completely. I guess it just wasn't a good match. No problem with my A31 though. I couldn't be happier with it. Hope that helps.
    Lance

It looks like I'm going with the A31 and two A23s for my system. If all goes well, I'll be picking them up tomorrow
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    It looks like I'm going with the A31 and two A23s for my system. If all goes well, I'll be picking them up tomorrow
    Nice, let's see a photo when you get them installed.