Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Parasound Halo A31

Hey guys!
    Just wanted to pass along that I purchased the Halo A31. I had to send back the Outlaw 7700 due to the treble being very harsh with my Monitor Audio GS speakers. No knock on Outlaw.....the rest of its performance was excellent and it was built like a tank. The performance of the Halo has been perfect right out of the box! Andrew recommended the 5250v2, but I chose the Halo only because I had auditioned the A52 earlier. I did not have the luxury of a 30 day return policy on this one with my dealer. I wanted to thank Andrew, Jerry, and Tracy for all their help. Keep up the great work guys!

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

You got it.

I am glad you gave the Outlaw a try. I have never heard of anyone sending one back but I guess there's a first for everything.

Enjoy your Parasound. I am supposed to call Richard about ads. I can use your thread as a conversation starter!!!

Great, I'm glad you found an amp that is a good match for your speakers. Now, we need to see some photos of that system.

I'm just about ready to jump into a 7-channel Halo amp setup. I'm torn between getting a A51 (5-channel) and an A23 (2-channel), or getting the A31 (3-channel) from my front speakers and two A23s for my 4 surround speakers in order to save some cash. I'm leaning towards the A31 system to save some money (a few hundred dollars cheaper) since the surround speakers are rarely tested versus the front three speakers. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, I'd be willing to listen to suggestions.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I've never ran a multi amp configuration, other than a sub amp, but I wouldn't see that it would be a major difference either way. If both amps are the same manufacturer and specs, I say save the ca$h.

I only run a five channel setup so the A31 and A21 are all I need. I find the A31 and A21 are virtually indistinguishable from each other so an A31 for your front mains is a good idea. As for the A23, what with its lower power, I can't say for certain. I have to imagine it would work.

Andrew,

I just hate to spend extra money on more powerful amps for the rear speakers that don't really need the extra juice. Granted, I'm only talking a few hundred extra bucks overall, but I don't want to throw money down the drain either. From a simplicity standpoint, the A51 and A23 is slightly easier since it's only two boxes versus three. I think I'm going to sleep on it a few days before I jump into a decision.
    David Vaughn

What speakers are you running?

M&K S150s across the front, SS150s across the back (4). All are 4ohm loads.
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Andrew,

I just hate to spend extra money on more powerful amps for the rear speakers that don't really need the extra juice. Granted, I'm only talking a few hundred extra bucks overall, but I don't want to throw money down the drain either. From a simplicity standpoint, the A51 and A23 is slightly easier since it's only two boxes versus three. I think I'm going to sleep on it a few days before I jump into a decision.
    I know you were looking at the Outlaw 7500.
    I love mine. It is fully balanced, quiet, dynamic, and clean.
    Less heat than the Halos too.

Most reviewers are not switching between amps and even then they might be hard pressed to hear a difference.
    I could hear the difference switching between my Sunfire 7400 and the Outlaw 7500.
    The 7500 was much cleaner and did a better job driving my Salons.
    That is not what I expected.
    Sonic memory is not very reliable.

The best way to choose is to have both in your home.
    Outlaw has B-Stock with no shipping charge. Personally, I think they are new.

If you can return the Halo, then you can do the ultimate test.

Good luck,

Either way you I doubt you will be unhappy with the amp.

- Rich