Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Jerry, you still have not answered the question I asked on the eve of the election nor the simple restatement I made after you danced around it -- as simply as possible: Given the fact that your choosen business depends on there being lots of people with a high disposable income I take it you believe that the re-election of President Obama will either expand the ranks of such individuals (which did not happen during his first term..) OR you are prepared to continue seeing folks have less resources to spend on costly toys.

Strikes me as sorta odd.

While I really don't think that either of the chambers of our legislative branch will allow the executive branch to carry out too much more redistribution of resources from the capital creation classes to government dependendant classes, the odds of there being any sort of expansion as the country saw under Clinton or Reagan seems extremely remote given the strident policies that the current administration has promoted -- anti-competitive regulations and an expanding nanny state even as failed cradle-to-grave policies see Europe desperately seeking a way out from under its unsustainable liberal benefits...

The lesson of the Electoral College is simple -- The relative ease in motivating low information "voters" in delegate rich urban areas to vote for the status quo of record high participation in Food Stamps and easily extended unemployment benefits flies in the face of platitudes about reigning in deficit spending. I suppose you can take comfort in being arm-in-arm with the underclass because the demonization of job creators that this administration has engaged in should soon result in ever more "luxury goods" niche businesses joining the ranks of the permanently un-employed...

See the thing is that despite Nate Silver and others like him with the ability to "call a winner" in the political horse race the sad record of the "learned" leadership of the Democratic party that is isolated from the risk takers and wealth creators will be continued growth in the ranks of those who really have built nothing and a crushing burden on those who have the ability to earn a living...

So when you cheer that "spanking" you might want to think long and hard about who is going to be "soaked" and what that leaves of your target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    332 to 206 in the electoral college is a SPANKING.

Not sure what election you were watching but Obama beat the hell out of Romney where it counts because if the popular vote counted we would have been spared at least 4 years of President W Bush because Al Gore beat him in the popular vote.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I am sorry if I didn't answer your whole question. Let me see what I can do here to answer it.

As for high end gear - I am growing tired of it. So is Andrew. We are finding VALUE gear that everybody can afford. The new Outlaw preamp will be posted on Monday. We have the Vizio 60 and 70 inch sets (almost an exclusive) reviewed before HT and S+V. We have the Oppo BDP-103. We will always cover the high end but we aim to bring the world of high performance AV to as many people as possible with our editorial. Am I worried that Obama is going to hurt that? Not at all. The last 4 years have been brutal, I think everyone would agree. Obama inherited a pretty lousy hand of cards including a collapsing economy that was losing 250,000 jobs per month, 2 holy wars, Medicare part D and huge tax cut. He did OK with the steep challenges in front of him. Not great. His legacy will be based on how well he does going forward. Working with republicans to get MEANINGFUL tax reform is a good thing and thankfully congressmen are starting to ignore that moron, Grover Norquist. There is going to need to be a compromise. Everyone knows it. Nothing is sacred. Its time to cut spending AND raise some new revenue be it taxes on people like ME (and some of my readers) as well as closing over $1,000,000,000 in yearly tax loopholes. Cuts to medicare might need to happen (sorry dems). Social Security might need to be moved back a few years at some point as people live longer. All of it counts.

Warren Buffett says it best when he describes our l-shaped recovery's problem being the lack of a housing element. This KILLS the home theater and specialty AV business. When people are buying houses - they need the goodies that we all know and love. When their houses are worth 50% of what they were 4 years ago - its hard to justify that new 84 inch ultra HD 4k flat screen for $22,000.

As for the electoral college - that's how we elect presidents and Barry kicked ass there. Its just fact. I am sorry if he isn't your man but he's your president now with a solid victory over a way right wing candidate who pissed off women and hispanics. For the first time in a long time Karl Rove and his excellent team of strategists bet VERY WRONG. Obama was better with big data and embraced the moderate voter better. I mean seriously - do you want a Constitutional Amendment banning abortion in cases of rape and incest? Is that moderate at all? Is that the Ron Paul "small gvmt" or is that just using government to tell people what to do with their bodies? Either way - its so extreme that its easy to see why Romney lost. Moderate Republicans won't run. Rudy Gullliani said as much the day after the election. You can't be pro choice and be the Republican presidential candidate. The party has been hijacked by the religious right and unless they figure out how to be more moderate - they are going to lose to Hillary in 2016 and for years to come. Personally, I think they are too smart to keep going down the road that they are on now. Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum, Donald Trump and all of the nut jobs are hard to sell.

Sarah Palin and John McCain had more support, in total numbers, than did Mitt Romeny & Paul Ryan to me that says that there is no reason to beleive that there is any reason to believe that any ideologically motivated voters exist in sufficient numbers to be considerd as any sort of "force" within the GOP.

Chris Christie has a little less than four years to get on Jenny Craig and battle Marco Rubio for the nomination and then whoop the job killing /tax raising / "you'll know what's in the bill after we pass it" lunatic policies that are the cause & effect of the "grow the underclass and the government they depend on" sad excuse that the Democratic party has become under the corrupt leadership of Nancy Pelosi, Hary Reid, Obama & Biden. Hillary Clinton is too smart to continue to waste any more of her golden years in politics.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Here are the facts. When you look at the key battleground states, it was 334,000 votes—in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire—that separated Mr. Romney from the presidency. That's not that many votes which is why the President doesn't have a mandate and will need to meet in the middle. Frankly, I think Jerry and I could come up with a balanced plan that would surely piss a lot of people off in the electorate, but it would be fair and balanced across the board with enough give and take on each side. I'm not so sure our politicians will be able to come to an agreement that will solve our long-term problems. If history is any indication, they'll kick the can down the road (like they've been doing for the last 50 years).
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I tend to agree -- the solutions that non-politicians could work out almost certainly would be superior to the "all or nothing" craziness that those who depend on the support of political donors to keep their unproductive rumps in office. Rather sad that the "hard core" mindset of over-the-top political action committees seems to be rubbing off on some folks...

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Here are the facts. When you look at the key battleground states, it was 334,000 votes—in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and New Hampshire—that separated Mr. Romney from the presidency. That's not that many votes which is why the President doesn't have a mandate and will need to meet in the middle. Frankly, I think Jerry and I could come up with a balanced plan that would surely piss a lot of people off in the electorate, but it would be fair and balanced across the board with enough give and take on each side. I'm not so sure our politicians will be able to come to an agreement that will solve our long-term problems. If history is any indication, they'll kick the can down the road (like they've been doing for the last 50 years).

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renov8r View Post
    job killing /tax raising.
    Name:  31ef3f9069209f2b69_h81mvyju7.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  94.9 KB

See the attached chart for how many jobs were created by Obama and lost by Bush from the end of W's last term and into Obama's first. Source: Bureau of Labor Stats.

Additionally, here's a story from CBS News showing Obama EXTENDING the Bush Tax cuts in 2010.

Dude - I am sure you are sore about being beat but c'mon. You can't "believe" what you you wrote no matter how hard Fox News, Karl Rove and the religious right NEED you to believe their BS.

Some economists suggest that no matter WHICH president was elected - there was going to be 10m to 12m new jobs created in the next 4 years. That was a segment topic on CNN's Farid Zakaria (I can't remember the source's name - sorry). Major companies are bringing manufacturing back to the US from China. National pride for products made in the US is higher than before. New sources of US-based energy are starting to make building things here make more sense.

This fiscal cliff thing is a MAJOR opportunity for the country to fix a LOT of issues with the country and the way we POORLY collect tax revenue. Put aside the no compromise idiots like Grover Norquist and have BOTH parties cut until it hurts, close loopholes that will piss off lobbyists and raise some new revenue. Even David will tell you - you CAN NOT BORROW $0.40 on the dollar forever and expect to be anything other than broke long term. This is our chance. Let's see if the Republicans in the House can screw it up somehow. I am betting that they won't. Its too big of a chance to get things right for the first time in a LONG time.

It is interesting that you cite this: "...matter WHICH president was elected - there was going to be 10m to 12m new jobs created in the next 4 years. That was a segment topic on CNN's Farid Zakaria" then go on to act like the date ranges chosen to proclaim the current administration's job creation is somehow neutral. Those ranges are skewed and the fact is that the total base of employment of this country has been dealt a crushing blow by the failures of Obama's policies. Get the whole story: Political Math » Why Obama Is Always Talking About “Private Sector Jobs”

I don't disagree that there is an opportunity with every crisis to readjust how things will be going forward, that said it remains to be seen whether the Dems will move the country to a more hobbled situation or a healthier standing.

When it comes to manufacturing here is a very interesting perspective: House GOP: Want more jobs? How ’bout we quit stalling on energy production? « Hot Air

The long record of Democrats supporting expansion of the welfare state is pretty clearly something that seems unsustainable, nothing to disagree with there. It should come as no surprise that there are also going to be efforts to pit not just those of different racial background but also those of significant generational differences against one another as more and more retirees see the sham that borrowing from the future has done to Medicare and Social Security. The way to reign in that growing burden is open for debate unless you are a politician who can write their own security into law. Just because all the sane analysis suggest both significant reductions in government spending and shifts in who pays for what are both needed there is no way to predict which party will be less loyal to the majority of their supporters -- personally I would not count on a party that nationally relied on the urban vote if my business depended on those with incomes far above average though I can completely understand where the motivations of someone like Warren Buffet whose great personal wealth put him not just in the 1% but in the .0001% can afford to be isolated from any shifts. Just like the Dems in the Senate dance to whole different tune than the House GOP does owing to the far more removed status they enjoy, Mr. Buffet can well afford to re-arrange his income to insulate himself from the kinds of negatives that those whose wealth is more tenuous have to worry about...

I think it is also instructive that though you do count yourself as among the 1% your can see the writing on the wall and are prepared to shift your business model to those of more modest means. I guess maybe you look forward to a world where entrance to the club that you've already been admitted to is going to be much more difficult -- it is rather like the "founding members" of a Country Club eagerly voting to increase initiation fees for those that come after them. No doubt your sizable wealth makes it harder for you to empathize with the struggles of those down in the 99% and perhaps unaware that the sorts of politics that Obama and his party mates in Illinois (my home state) have long relied on make it tougher to have any job while appealing to the most radical of lunatics: Think Tank Cautions Against Raising State’s Minimum Wage « CBS Chicago

See the attached chart for how many jobs were created by Obama and lost by Bush from the end of W's last term and into Obama's first. Source: Bureau of Labor Stats.

Additionally, here's a story from CBS News showing Obama EXTENDING the Bush Tax cuts in 2010.

Dude - I am sure you are sore about being beat but c'mon. You can't "believe" what you you wrote no matter how hard Fox News, Karl Rove and the religious right NEED you to believe their BS.

Some economists suggest that no matter WHICH president was elected - there was going to be 10m to 12m new jobs created in the next 4 years. That was a segment topic on CNN's Farid Zakaria (I can't remember the source's name - sorry). Major companies are bringing manufacturing back to the US from China. National pride for products made in the US is higher than before. New sources of US-based energy are starting to make building things here make more sense.

This fiscal cliff thing is a MAJOR opportunity for the country to fix a LOT of issues with the country and the way we POORLY collect tax revenue. Put aside the no compromise idiots like Grover Norquist and have BOTH parties cut until it hurts, close loopholes that will piss off lobbyists and raise some new revenue. Even David will tell you - you CAN NOT BORROW $0.40 on the dollar forever and expect to be anything other than broke long term. This is our chance. Let's see if the Republicans in the House can screw it up somehow. I am betting that they won't. Its too big of a chance to get things right for the first time in a LONG time.

Banned!!!

Last night, I saw Newt Gingrich on Leno's show. (I never thought I would agree with Gingrich on anything). I was amazed because he admitted a lot of things about the election. At first, when he heard that Mitt had lost the election , he was in total shock. But then he came to certain realizations.: Romney & the Republicans (sounds like an ol' musuic group) were out of touch with reality. They did not see the handwriting on the wall.

Their association with the right wing, The Tea Party was a needle in their hearts. The Repubs will need to dump all of their ol' candidates, and re- invent new ones. They have been shaken to the core. If they are to ever be successful again, they will need to reinvent the entire party. They were out of touch with the American people. Again, it's not that we like Obama, but we trusted him more with key things like foreign policy then wishywashy Romney. We did not want to go back to Bushinomics (that was 8 years a prison sentence). I also want to state that I think it's important to have independant candidates. This could be someone (like Jesse Ventura) who will not get caught up in the constant gridlock between the Democrats & Republicans. The American people are just sick & tired of their constant banter back & forth. Stop it right now. Stop the blame game & Grow up. Smell the coffee.

Jeff:

I respect some of former Speaker Gingrich's ideas but in all honesty he is more a part of the problem than he will acknowledge and I completely reject any suggestion that either the Democrats that are offering suggestions about the GOP being too "hardline" on social issues as being "helpful". To the contrary I fully believe that the voters routinely reject candidates that seem "weird" for those that seem more "normal" and it is a sad fact that in the view of many of the twisted Hollywood elite and media people it is far easier to paint a solid business background and time served as the elected governor of a diverse state as less normal than a guy whose parentage and previous associations with "academic leftists" is far outside the mainstream.

In all honesty, as a resident of Illinois, the circumstances of the President's election to the US Senate and his subsequent decision to run for the presidency is so profoundly odd that there are no real lessons to take away for future opponents.

What I believe Speaker Gingrinch knows and has championed in the past is the FACT that the majority of Americans do not want excessive government and are intelligent to know that there is no "free lunch" -- as give-aways grow so to will taxes and the burden that demagogues claim should be "heaped upon the rich" eventually are shouldered by those of much more modest means. It ought not be that hard to find "media friendly" candidates that can STICK TO THIS MESSAGE and avoid any lunatics that have a proclivity for appealing to the most fringe elements of religious / social nuts.

People seem to forget that great presidents of past generations from Lincoln to Kennedy to more recent inhabitants of the White House like Reagan and Clinton were more than willing to do more than give speeches about "unity", they were willing to actually sit down with those with whom they had disagreements and actually find areas of compromise -- this is far different from the "I won. Deal with it." nonsense that was seen four years ago and is currently being repeated. The damage that will comes from higher taxes will likely be undone, and the various end-runs that have become common place in Washington to slush around "black cash" for alleged anti-terror spending will likely continue to flow to connected defense firms BUT the trust of people in their government will continue to be eroded and the corrupt policies of redistribution will get worse.

As has been seen in numerous cases from the raw deal that bond holders got from the automaker bail-out four years ago compared to the sweetheart provisions that the UAW got in that deal and other labor unions got in Obamacare to the insanity of sweetheart loans to connected alternative energy firms and the failure to act on the Keystone pipeline to the recent pig headedness of the Hostess meltdown the White House is prefectly fine engaged in very clear cut cases of favoritism.

There are an awful lot more states with GOP governors and than there with governors from the party of dependency and big government. I see no signs of that trend changing. Similarly the House of Representatives, which by law controls the ultimate fate of taxes & spending, is also likely to remain in GOP control. After more people see more failures of the idiotic hostility to business that the White House spews I fully expect the GOP will have more momentum for success in the 2014 senate races and and ultimately in the 2016 presidential race as well...
    Joseph Zgymunt

Good question!

I believe that the AV industry including the high end companies that make up MANY of our best clients need a strong middle class. The idea that an economy booms from someone in the 1% making $25,000,000 versus $15,000,000 the year before is the basis of trickle-down economic and has been disproven twice in the last generation. Its a neat idea other than the fact that it doesn't work.

We need to collectively work together as Americans (despite party, religion and other rifts) and invest in schools, power grids, new technologies, roads, bridges and so forth while paying down DEBT. ENOUGH with Christian Fundamentalists starting wars with Muslim Fundamentalists. That's costing us a TRILLION DOLLARS per year and countless (and priceless) American lives.

And if the rich (and I don't agree with Obama that $250,000 per year is RICH - certainly not in a city like LA or NYC) have to pay a little more in taxes then we can let the Bush Tax Cuts expire for the richest people in the country because at $1,000,000 per year or more in income - if you want a pair of new Wilsons you are going to buy them no matter what the tax rate it. Look at what capital gain taxes were when Apple and Microsoft were founded. That didn't stop Jobs and Gates.

Long term we should look to massive tax reform to make us a debt-free nation but that will be something that BOTH sides of the isle will have to want and the special interests will NEVER ALLOW.
    Do you really believe that a "Christian Fundamentalist" started a war?