Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Or ease of programming.
    Programming isn't easy to start with, but after learning how, it provides lots of functionality.
    Richard

I agree Richard, but unless you are constantly using the software it's easy to forget how to do certain things.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Banned!!!

The fact that Logitech is getting rid of their remotes is no surprise. As a matter of fact, it's an ongoing trend. First, it was Pronto. A lot of people were in shock over that one. Then next it was NEVO. I loved and programmed NEVO's. My favorite was their Q50's. They were so customizable, from the icons, cool buttons, etc. You could import pictures. I was sick when they went away. We do URC's, but they can be a PITA. My favorite URC Remote is the MX- 980. Very nice.

It seems that these companies just became not very profitable for them. What a shame. There aren't many companies making them. There is also RTI. (pretty cool). Also, there is this oddball remote from URC. It's the MX-450. You don't use a computer to program them. Not bad. I've programed a few of them. It's different and it takes a little getting used to. Creating macros with it is really kind of a cool thing. I can knock out a macro in a matter of minutes with that one.

I use a MX-980 and it's a solid remote for sure.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I agree Richard, but unless you are constantly using the software it's easy to forget how to do certain things.
    I thought this was just a senior problem .
    Richard

I really think it's the smartphone and tablet that's killing universal remotes. Since almost everyone has them (particularly those who are tech savy which are also the target market for Universal Remotes), people that have these devices are willing to spend a fraction of the cost to have the app to control AV devices rather than spending a whole lot more for dedicated universal remotes. Convergence.

Banned!!!

Sleeper52: I'm afraid that I disagree with this. Yes, you can use an Ipad or Iphone, etc for a Home Theater Remote, but I do not recommend it. Have you looked at Bitwise? Hardware & software to use your device as a HT Remote. First of all it's expen$ive. There are inherent complications, and they don't work flawlessly like a good Remote will. You actually have the difference in price backwards. Check it out:

Bitwise Controls : Home

Quote Originally Posted by mrhookup View Post
    Sleeper52: I'm afraid that I disagree with this. Yes, you can use an Ipad or Iphone, etc for a Home Theater Remote, but I do not recommend it. Have you looked at Bitwise? Hardware & software to use your device as a HT Remote. First of all it's expen$ive. There are inherent complications, and they don't work flawlessly like a good Remote will. You actually have the difference in price backwards. Check it out:

Bitwise Controls : Home
    Interesting link. Will look into it. But what I'm talking about isn't necessarily that the smartphone or tablet as a perfect universal remote, but i'm talking about AV companies handing out free apps to control their devices. I'm talking about the likes of Yamaha letting u download, completely free, an app to control their AV Receivers for example. I see more and more of electronics companies leaning to this trend.
    Of course it isn't perfect as it nearly isn't as customizable nor flexible as a dedicated universal remote (no marcos). The thing is, most users are fine with that and that's what I think is killing the dedicated remote market.

double post, sorry.

Banned!!!

Sleeper52: Hey great; whatever floats your boat. With that you have no macros, limited functionality. It's more like a science project. Hell, if you need to get apps from different manufacturer's, imagine what it would take just to try & create a macro would be. For me, it's more trouble then it's worth. I'd rather just program a real remote able to do what you want. With your idea, I don't even think you can do RF control. Big difference.