Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Logitech To Exit Remote Control And Video Security

I love my Logitech Harmony remote. It is hands down, the easiest remote to program that I have ever owned. It is extremely flexible and adding new equipment is a breeze.

To learn that Logitech plans to exit the remote control business, makes me a bit sad. TWICE reports:

Name:  logitech.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  6.5 KB

According to a slide presentation on Logitech’s website, the company plans to divest the remote control and digital video security categories, and “discontinue other non-strategic products.” It will also “eliminate associated costs and seek additional opportunities for cost reductions in fiscal year 2014.”

Sales for remote controls were down 24 percent despite Logitech’s launch of its first high-end remote in more than four year, it noted.
    In a statement, Logitech president/CEO Bracken Darrell said: “As we articulated when we started the third quarter, continued weakness in the global PC market was the primary factor in our disappointing Q3 results. These results are unacceptable, and we are taking decisive action as an outcome of my strategic review.”
    Logitech will discontinue speaker docks and console gaming peripherals by the end of the year. According to Darrell, it will focus on tablet accessories instead. Its Ultrathin keyboard cover was again its No. 1 selling product for the quarter, and the company’s tablet accessory sales have nearly doubled in the Americas.

I've used nothing but Harmony remotes for years, Yea I guess I better get a Touch while I can.
    I hope someone good buys Harmony, can you imagine a Apple "Harmony" remote!
    Who would you hope buys Harmony that would keep the line growing?
    "Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"

It may not be that anyone is looking to buy them out. I think the fact that most every manufacturer has a remote app, has effected the universal remote business.

I'm seeing the RF version of the 900 in my future. Time to start watching Amazon.

OK then if no one buys Logitech what happens to the database & online setup?
    Will we still be able to update remotes?
    "Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
    OK then if no one buys Logitech what happens to the database & online setup?
    Will we still be able to update remotes?
    Very good question.

I think it would be WONDERFUL!

While I don't think that a firm like Apple would have any interest / desire to purchase the remote control products division of Logitech I do think that the success of firms like Sonos and Nest is largely from delivering "they just work" type solutions modeled on those offered by Apple.

Name:  nest02.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  75.6 KBName:  sonos-cr200.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  20.1 KB

I suppose you are a huge believer that things like Android are always better? Don't get me wrong work I use Linux other UNIX variants all day (and sometimes all night ) at work but around the house I want sleek & intuitive -- not "oh ya doesn't has to do it just one way" geeky overload!

Funny thing is that there is a huge tie between ALL "universal remote controls" and Apple -- the first firm that Steve Wozniak founded after he left Apple was specifically to "fill the need" for remote's that could operate the myriad of devices that he owned: CL 9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia K-TRONICS, L.C. - CL9 - Core Remote Control Unit

My gripe with Harmony devices is their "build quality" -- I much prefer the ruggedness that exceeds OEM type controls that Universal products exhibit -- URC : Residential > Remotes > TRC-1280 of course those suckers take a professional to program instead of just a web browser but the two-way info ecxhange means you have status / playlist / guide data in your hand. Wife hates it -- too many buttons & styling that only Darth Vader would want in his living room

In a perfect world the industrial design of something like an iPod Nano (the one from a generation or so back... Name:  11576.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  25.7 KB) would be merged with the power / durability of a URC and the ease of setup of a Harmony... Wanna go into bidness together???

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
    I've used nothing but Harmony remotes for years, Yea I guess I better get a Touch while I can.
    I hope someone good buys Harmony, can you imagine a Apple "Harmony" remote!
    Who would you hope buys Harmony that would keep the line growing?
    Joseph Zgymunt

I too have been a huge fan of the Harmony remotes, URC's are clunky and a PITA to program, as were Pronto's. Hope they don't go away like the dinosaurs, they really filled a great niche!

I love my URC, but every time I have to change a component I have to retake an online class to remember how to make all of the changes that I want!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I love my URC, but every time I have to change a component I have to retake an online class to remember how to make all of the changes that I want!
    I admire URC for the ruggedness of their remotes, but reprogramming them sucks. I have owned one, a Sunfire branded URC that came with my Sunfire Theater Grand III pre/pro. I loved the feel of the remote and the IR "blasters" were stronger than my Logetech, but I NEVER would use it as a universal remote. It was too counterintuitive when programming macros. Even reprogramming it when I bought a new Blu-ray player, which was back in the dark ages of Blu-ray so I upgraded often, made me want to bash my head on the wall.

URC should take this opportunity to build a computer-based interface, similar to Logitech, to assist users in programming and reprogramming their remotes. Do that and make it a RF unit, and I'll buy it.

If I wanted a remote that I had to hire an installer to program, I would buy a Crestron.

Once it's programmed, I don't have any issues with it at all. I like how it can control my Lutron light switches as well. Whenever I pause a movie, the lights go up in the room (I LOVE the cool factor of that). Since it looks like I'll be buying my review sample of the Marantz AV8801, I'll have to go in and reprogram my entire system from the ground up and finally add my Squeezebox (I've been operating that manually for something like 3 years or so!). I now know what I'll be doing tomorrow!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine