Sony to Announce Playstation 4 This Month

Name:  Sony_Playstation.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  61.8 KB

Sony will host a press event in New York on February 20th in which, according to a source cited by Bloomberg.com, the company "is 100 percent certain to announce the Playstation 4.”

TechRadar has a breakdown of expected and desired specs on the new console, which you can read here.

We'll keep you posted.
    --
    Adrienne Maxwell
    Managing Editor, HomeTheaterReview.com
    Follow me on Twitter @TheTechGinger

Sony needs to do something with the Playstation as it is very long in the tooth. Though admittedly so is the XBox 360 and yet that continues to dominate along with the Wii. I'm sure Sony will tout some 4K compatibility however if there is one thing that XBox and Wii have shown -at least with enthusiasts - it isn't necessarily about visual quality as much as it is content. In my opinion the PS3 has over sold itself as a sort of jack of all trades, master of none. While it was great at launch, arguably the only real Blu-ray player worth owning, it quickly fell from favor which is why I, believe, it's in third or fourth place in terms of sales. Curious to see what the new model will promise.

I'm curious as well Andrew. One thing I like about the Sony platform is they don't charge to play online games. XBOX costs you about $5 per month. While not a lot of money, it still sucks to have to continually pay.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

To me the PS3 has been one of my favorite pieces of HT gear ever and I'm not that big of a gamer. It streams, it plays blue ray, it connects to home networks for picture viewing.....etc. I'm surprised to learn from Andrew that it wasn't the biggest seller. I've been looking for the PS4 for a long time.

Thanks Adrienne for bringing this to the forum.

Ok, well I just read the article attached to Adrienne's link. I'm very disappointed to see that it isn't the huge leap forward I was expecting. I thought sure it would be a full court press for 4K. But, if Andrew thinks 4K isn't a night and day difference in graphics anyway I guess the thrill is officially gone.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

i'll never forget having one of my old business partner's friends go out and sleep in line to get us a PS3 (Sony didn't love us as much back then) when it first came out. 48 hours later we had the first meaningful, home theater related review that was 5,000 plus words up on AVRev.com. Those were the good old days there!

PS3 was a game changer for Sony. I am not sure what they can bring to PS4 that isn't just keeping up with the Jones' but I am sure they know what the success of PS4 means to Sony as a company. The stakes are high and they create a lot of the game that they sell which is where a good amount of the profit is.

For me, video games peaked around the era of NHL 94. When you could skate Nic Lidstrom in and use "the gank move" to snap spines of defending players and score. Was it simplistic? Yes, it was but it was beautiful too. Today's games, especially hockey ones, are so complicated. I simply can't play Madden football. There's too much going on. The shooter games are complex too. Ultimately, I just gave up as you can stream movies from AppleTV or RoKu or your Blu-ray player or your TV.

I bought Madden 13 last week for the XBOX 360 and it's a blast. I can still play it pretty good, but I've been playing it since the Sega Genesis years!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine