Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Porscheguy View Post
    I agree the Outlaw amp (ATI I believe) is a fine product. Emotiva has a XPR-5 that is 5 X 400 wpc @8ohms with all channels driven for $2000.00. That is the value leader in my book.
    No such thing as having too much reserve power, in my opinion.

Well the MM8077 should be here tomorrow or Thursday, look forward to setting it up and enjoying it.
    Also bought a pair of Dali Mentor 2 for surround mode at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drmark View Post
    Well the MM8077 should be here tomorrow or Thursday, look forward to setting it up and enjoying it.
    Also bought a pair of Dali Mentor 2 for surround mode at the same time.

Cool, I would love to see some photos when you get it installed.

I'll attach pictures later, basically the amp is a winner. One interesting point, I ran it for 4 days burning in a new pair of Dali Mentor 2 speakers at the same time. I have the Ikon 7 floor standing speakers, Mentor 2's and Helicon 300 MKII's.
    Ikons and Mentor2, when hooked up to either amp the Parasound A-51 or the Marantz MM8077, at almost any power they had the same sound signature. Clear and good.
    When I switched out to the Helicons there was a major differance. With the Marantz the Helicons sounded clear, good and were ok. When I hooked the A-51 up up, they opened up and the image was significant. I could close my eyes and see the stage, pinpoint the band. With the Marantz, that didnt happen. Only happened with the Helicons.

There are those who believe that matching speakers to an amp is part science and part art. I suppose you are proving that point with your observations.

I never believed the all amps sound the same argument. With the Mentor 2's ($2800-pair) and the Ikon 7's ($2200 pair) I would say yes clearly all amps do sound the same. But the 300 MKII Helicons ($4,000 pair) proved it wrong.
    Matching amps with a speaker, never thought about it. Now I will insist on trying before buying. I'll probably replace the Marantz later this year with a couple of A52's or A51's. The Marantz is no slouch and at $2400 not cheap either. It never occured to me that the Mentors would be so different from the Helicons.
    So would more speakers out there not pass the Power amp is different test? Your thoughts Tracy?

Every amp has a characteristic "transfer function" and I suppose pretty much every speaker has both different coloration as well as somewhat unique impedance characteristic.

I don't know how far apart these things have to be for two amps to "sound different" when driving the same speakers...
    Last edited by renov8r; 03-22-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Joseph Zgymunt

Sorry to take so long to reply and post a couple of pictures. I enjoyed the Marantz but was not getting what I expected. So I went a different route. I am in the process of building amp stands now.

Sorry to take so long to reply and post a couple of pictures. I enjoyed the Marantz but was not getting what I expected. So I went a different route. I am in the process of building amp stands now.

Parasound Halos?!!? Nice !!!

How would you compare them sonically to the Marantz? Thanks for posting the photos.