Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marantz MM8077 7 channel amp

Has anyone had a chance to really play with this amp? Will it safely go down to 4 ohms? SQ?

Marantz US | MM8077

Power Output (8 Ohm) 150W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08%)
    S/N Ratio 105dB
    Freq. Response (Analog In) 8Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3dB)
    Designed for the ultimate music and movie surround sound experience, the Marantz MM8077 7-channel power amplifier delivers power and detail, and is rated at 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 180 watts per channel into 6 ohms.

Drmark,

I reviewed the amp along with the AV8801 (it's on the homepage of hometheater.com). I personally don't think it's a very good value for what it brings to the table. It will handle 4ohm speakers, but there are better options out there from Outlaw, Emotiva, and others for similar (or less) money and more power. Furthermore, if you look at the "lab measurements" page, you'll see how the amp performed on the bench.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I'm sure it's a great amp and I like Marantz products. I have their AV7005 pre/pro but, I agree with David. You can get more power from other brands. I would look at Outlaw for sure.

For $1,000 off when purchased together "$1400" are the other options still better value to get 7 channels? I need at least 6 more channels to feed 11.1
    I have a
    Parasound A-51 for my LRC, front side LR
    emotiva XPA-5 for front height LR, Rear side LR and rear Left
    Denon POA800 in mono driving the last rear Right.

Would be nice to remove 2 amps and replace with one.
    Last edited by Drmark; 02-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Even at $1400 the value that you get from 4 of these puppies will destroy any maintstream amp -- Amazon.com: Crown XLS1000 Power Amplifier with integrated PureBand Crossover System and PeakX Limiters: Musical Instruments
    Andrew is advocate of utilizing the sound reinforcment amps and signal processors in homes to great effect...
    Joseph Zgymunt

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The package discount, -$1000, makes it more appealing.

For comparison sake, the Outlaw 7200 is $1849, 7x300 into 4 ohms. The Outlaw does not have balanced inputs, but that's not a deal-breaker for me personally.

The crown looks interesting but it also looks like it would be better in a car. I would actually prefer to go less than more.
    Thank you all for your help

Not sure what kind of vehicle would fit a stack like this:Name:  crown-xls-1000.jpg
Views: 4987
Size:  8.0 KB

I tend to care more about how amplifiers sound than what visual do-dads adorn them...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joseph Zgymunt

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I could put that in the back of my Avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    The package discount, -$1000, makes it more appealing.

For comparison sake, the Outlaw 7200 is $1849, 7x300 into 4 ohms. The Outlaw does not have balanced inputs, but that's not a deal-breaker for me personally.
    I agree the Outlaw amp (ATI I believe) is a fine product. Emotiva has a XPR-5 that is 5 X 400 wpc @8ohms with all channels driven for $2000.00. That is the value leader in my book.