Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Acoustic Panels for Ceilings

I heard it is best to have a black ceiling so instead of painting it black, would it be better to hang black acoustic panels from one end to the other end on the ceiling?

Any thoughts?

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

This depends on how hardcore you are with light. The more black the room can get the better but you also have to live in the house.

I have brown colored fabric walls and panels on my ceiling but they aren't black. I do use a special door that blocks in coming light. I can make it VERY DARK in my room but it could be "more dark" if I made the room all black. Personally, I wasn't willing to go that far.

A great audio upgrade is to put treatments on your first order reflections which are a few feet in front of your speakers.

Good advise. Considering my "home theater" is actually the game room and it has an opening (staircase leading to it), having it black may not be wise!

But, I think I can put up neutral color acoustic panels instead on the ceilings..

Come on TrippleJ, you know you want an all black Man Cave.

I think a black ceiling can be a good idea, especially if you have a projector. My ceiling is white and it is rather low. I get a good bit of light scatter on my ceiling that cuts down on my contrast and is a bit distracting. Spraying my panels black may be my spring AV project.

WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor is the only thing keeping me from painting the ceiling black!

At least with acoustic panels, I can take them down.

I painted the entire room and ceiling black. It is rather strange but rather great. It's strange because even with the light on in the room, it's hard to see certain things with reflections, but I like it.

The one funny thing is that you can lose your perspective on time. I have walked into the room during the daylight hours, watched a movie or two, come out and the entire house is dark because it's night. But you never see the change.

GAF (Girlfriend Acceptance Factor): Well, she gave up on that room a long time ago. At first she hated everything, then ignored it. But now loves watching the "big' movies there and doesn't complain. (Small movies still get watched in the bedroom)

Oh, one more silly thing. It's almost impossible top take a good picture of it top post. it is too dark.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 03-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

When you talk about an "all black man cave" I can't help but to think of Jim_S and BBTBS. (inside joke but funny nonetheless)

I have a relection problem. The two piano black subwoofers act like magnets for light. They're far from small: 19" T x 26" D X 29" L. And to think I paid extra for the gloss finish.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I have a relection problem. The two piano black subwoofers act like magnets for light. They're far from small: 19" T x 26" D X 29" L. And to think I paid extra for the gloss finish.
    Clearly didn't think that one through.

I know what you mean. It surprises me that all the display manufacturers continue to use a glossy bezel around their displays. Yes, they are making the bezels thinner, but there is always something reflecting off them.

Banned!!!

Originally, all flat screens were silver. I still have two of them, and they still work just fine. About a year ago, one had to be repaired. Now it's fine again. That one is a 50" in our bedroom. I still like it. Now, all flat screens switched and went to black. Now you can't even find silver or white flat screens. It's a shame. Hell, many products come in a choice of black or white. Some things can be had in a multitude of colors. They should make them in more then one color IMHO.