Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Everybody is right, top some degree. I’ll glad people with the same addiction as I have are responding.

1. Money is certainly an issue. I really did not want to, or plan to, spend any more for the 707. But after the 502 unexpectedly failed, I had little choice. So I can’t ignore the money issue.
    2. But selling this would be irreplaceable, it’s one of the best two channels amps made. It’s not only cool as hell, it really is a classic. But as silly as it sounds, it’s more in line with how I perceive myself, as a two channel analog guy in a world of 5 channel digital sound.
    3. Jim, I understand your point, but I have the 707 in black and it is gorgeous, it too is a work of art. But like most works of art it may take a bit of time before it is recognized. And as much as I like the 32, it’s style is mimicked in many other Levenson products.

Finally, here is the logical part: While the 32 was once used for everything, I only use it now for the CD player and phonograph, which are important. Everything else comes directly through the 707 and takes a detour through the 32’s SSP (surround input). I have duplicate work not just for the machines, but for anyone using the unit.

So if the CD player sounds just as good bypassing the 32 (which I will find out today) logic tells me to do one thing, my emotions, which may win tells me to do another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S View Post
    It's still just a box Ken!!! I mean look at it... the 32 is sexy and has style. The Krell is just a box with blue lights. C'mon... you know what I'm saying here dude!!!
    Different strokes for different folks Jim, I think the 707 is sweet as!

Leftisc,

I ran the Classe' SSP-800 through an Audio Research Ref 5 and then 40th Anniversary Ref preamps, just as you describe. I used a Harmony remote and simply programmed it to use both and it worked perfectly. Yes, it does add another level of complexity, but it can be done fairly easily.

Well,

I first A-B ed the system by setting my SACD, Tuner and Sonos to go through the ML 32. Then I set it up for the three units to be connected directly through the Krell. But the Krell is connect to the ML’s SSP setting.

In our opinion, this way, the ML was slightly better. But not by much.

Then we connected the 707 directly to the amps, not going through the ML 32. The 707 gave a more detailed sound which sounded best with a Jazz trio or so. The ML sounded a bit better, or different, with a larger orchestra.

Our vote: It’s probably as close to a tie as you can get.

Then sell it.

As always, Mr Spock, your logic is inescapable.

Yeah, it took me some time and people here helped me decide. I sold it tonight!

Hopefully you got a solid price for it and it helped offset the cost of the 707..........

I still miss that piece!

Kennyt and everyone:

Starting with my Bell and Howell 8mm projector, with movies from Castle films, and then getting our first stereo from Lafayette movies and music have been a constant in my life. And while music and movies may be forever their delivery systems, as irreplaceable as they all originally seemed, are only temporary and they too will all be supplanted one day.

It is now 1:55 PM on Tuesday. I had met the man buying the ML 32 at 1:15 and by 1:45, after checking everything out, he left with the deal done.

The sale very much makes me “whole” again financially; I am just a tad shy.

Everything changed for me on Thursday when I took out the ML 32 from the system and the Krell was attached directly to the amps, no longer going through the ML 32 SSP setting.

First, I can now turn on the Krell, which means I can turn on the TV, DVD, Sonos and Laser Disc without “futzing” with the pre-amp. I’ll get technical if you need me to, but the “pre-amp” sound on the Krell is just great and rivals the ML32. And it is so easy to use. For example, to turn on the Krell and use the Sonos we now have to press just one or two buttons. Before, we had to press 6 or 7.

But I did have to spend an hour resetting stuff on the Krell: triggers, inputs, Eq and volume settings.

My shelves look empty. I recently replaced a big three piece CD/DA player with one “small” piece. The pre amp was two nice sized pieces. I removed my VHS player and my tape deck, two pieces I haven’t used in years. I removed my Polk XM Tuner, my Sonos gets those stations for $100 less a year. My ML 40 was also two pieces.

Nine pieces are gone and my Salamander stereo cabinet looks strangely empty, yet, everything has been replaced by something that plays better.

So when the ML was being carried out the door I was not sad it was not going, nor glad. I just felt good that it was over and it was rather painless. The buyer saw my posts on this site and we quickly worked it out.

So I’ll get used to the new normal, that is, until they invent something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Nine pieces are gone and my Salamander stereo cabinet looks strangely empty, yet, everything has been replaced by something that plays better.

Salamander rack???

My Evo 707 lived on an AudiAV Crystal rack with granite shelves and magnetic isolation.......

I have a Salamander rack, it was in the garage and used to hold my R/C cars.....

I don't have a picture with my real old stuff...meaning 5 years ago.But can we still play the theme from the way we were? My two separate dealers have always teased me that I "hide' my equipment when every one else shows it. My amps are in the garage!

Name:  The way we were.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  90.3 KB

Everything in the first (left column) is gone. Most of the stuff in the second one is gone too, all but the cable box. The ML 502 and 512 were replaced.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 03-26-2013 at 07:10 PM.