Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seriously, I am having trouble selling my Mark Levenson 32 pre amp.

Seriously, I am having trouble selling my Mark Levenson 32 pre amp.

I need some emotional support.

With the exception of my first car, I really do not get attached to mechanical things, I always like what comes next. The ML 26 pre-amp was my first step in high end audio and I loved it. I always considered myself as a two channel music guy, with surround sound being an add-on. I didn’t get surround sound speakers, I got musical ones. And when I moved into my first and only house, in 1990, I made sure I would have a good “stereo” room, who knew about home theatre.

For my next and final pre amp I wanted 1) That sounded great 2) Had a remote control 3) One that had a great phono input, not the two large “shoeboxes” that made up the ML 25.

I got that all with the 32.

But I recently got the Krell 707 and it has a great pre-amp in it. And, it would just be plain easier to use just that than my analog 32.

Of course everything was once analog: My record player, cassette deck, FM Tuner, CD Player, even my two channel Laser Disc and stereo TV sound.

Now, my cassette is long gone, there are no jazz or classical stations on FM, so I use a digital connection with Sonos, DVD, Blu Rays and TV are all 5 channel digital and even CD player has an external coax if I want to plug it into my Krell 707. (I won’t). So the SACD player and record player, now rarely used, is all I need the pre-amp for. And I would get an external phono pre amp for the Krell.

But I feel funny giving (meaning selling) the pre-amp. I served me well all these years and it may very well be one of the last of its kind. I’ll no longer be the two channel analog guy with a surround add on, I will definite me a 5 channel digital guy!

So tell me that I am doing the right thing selling the pre-amp!

It sounds to me like the 707 meets all your needs. Look at selling the Mark Levenson 32, as having one less thing to clean the dust off of.

So why do I feel so strangely bad about it?

Banned!!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Lefisc: You definately have good taste when it comes to Audio. Getting attached to a Mark Levenson product is very understandable. I guess that you have to look at it like this. You said that you got lots of great musical times out of it. It's not easy to part with a ML product like that. There was really two ways that you could have gone with it. Keep the two channel stuff in one room; do the surround sound deal in another room. (if you have the extra room).

A funny story. I had a customer years ago who had a split personality. He had a very nice two channel setup in a nice room. He wanted to also have a surround setup (in that very same room). Based upon what he ultimately decided was this. The two channel system was along the widest wall in that room. We set up a large screen TV at a 90 degree angle in this room. We then did a surround sound getup facing that way. It seemed really crazy to me, but that's what he wanted. Here's how he used it.

When he was in his 2 channel personality, he sat on a sofa that faced the 2 channel system. When he was in his surround sound personality, he sat in a chair facing the big TV and surround sound. Apparently, he was quite happy using it like this. I figured you had to be almost schizophrenic to do this. He was a strange guy anyway. He was a real health nut. He played tennis alot, and he practiced Karate. I wouldn't want to be on his bad side. He was tall & thin & muscular. Kind of a Jean Claude Van Dame sort of guy only taller. He had a business with sports betting, and he was apparently quite good at it.

He had a pair of Fried Speakers. (picture attached) Super nice. He had two mono amps that were huge and sat on the floor on platforms. His CD setup was rediculous with a separate transport. You put a CD on it, and clamped it down. The speaker wires looked like something that would be used to hot shot a Jet. These wires were huge in diameter. He had CD's that were not even legal to own. He paid a lot of money for them. They were gold and almost see thru. They were a combination of contemporary music, along with classical music. What made it sort of illegal was that no royalties had been paid to the owner's of at least the classical music. It actually sounded quite cool & contemporary for the way in which they were merged togeather. The sound quality was amazing. I had never heard anything like it before or after.

Name:  FriedClassicSpeakers.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  25.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    So why do I feel so strangely bad about it?
    If you are feeling that badly about it going to a new home and have separation anxiety, I have a solution. I'll PM you my shipping address, and I'll take REALLY good care of it for you. As much as I love my preamp for movies, it's not great for 2-Channel music.

I can even set up my iPad and you two can Facetime or Skype, just so you know it's doing well in its new home.

Letisc,

IF you feel so attached to the ML 32, then if you can financially afford it, KEEP IT! I have some audio gear that I simply will not sell. Some is worth sick money, but some is almost worthless but is something I so love that I cannot sell.

I know you have the Evo 707, a piece I lived with for over a year and still love to this day. I did have to sell mine due to a divorce, otherwise it would have still been in my home (or now as I live in New Zealand, my storage POD) but now I have a 'hybrid' system. My main rig before leaving was fronted by the Classe' SSP-800 with an Audio Research 40th Anniversary pre for my 2 channel needs......

This system met any needs I had, amazing two channel performance, insane 5.1 (yep, never went more than that!) and with a Harmony universal remote was simple to work. Hell, kids or the age of 8 could run my theater as well as i could......

To close, if you truly LOVE it and don't need the cash, keep it! It wn't go down in value much in the next few years, so you won't lose much if you do keep it and maybe you will use it by then...

IF you won't use it, sell it!

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I think its a bit overkill to keep the No. 32 but I understand your issue. The no. 32 is cool as hell.

I've never owned one but I had a No. 40 with a pair of 436s monos back in the day.

The Levinson is a piece of art, the 707 is just another box regardless of how good it is... at least that's how my brain sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S View Post
    The Levinson is a piece of art, the 707 is just another box regardless of how good it is... at least that's how my brain sees it.
    Wow, harsh Jim! The 707 is gorgeous!!!! The massive volume knob is so cool I used to use it periodically just because it was so cool!

It's still just a box Ken!!! I mean look at it... the 32 is sexy and has style. The Krell is just a box with blue lights. C'mon... you know what I'm saying here dude!!!