The Home Cinema Experience - AV Preamps/Receivers (VIDEO)

In this episode of The Home Cinema Experience I go over some AV preamp and AV receiver basics, including what the differences are between them as well as their similarities. I also discuss which is right for you as well as which features to look out for and which ones you can do without. Enjoy!

Thx Andrew.
    I have a question: can you hook up a separate Amp for the 2 Main channels and have the AV Receiver power and do the processing for the rest of the channels (including processing for the 2 mains)?
    Last edited by Sleeper52; 03-28-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper52 View Post
    Thx Andrew.
    I have a question: can you hook up a separate Amp for the 2 Main channels and have the AV Receiver power and do the processing for the rest of the channels (including processing for the 2 mains)?
    If your AVR has pre-outs you should be able to do what you want. What AVR are you using?
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    If your AVR has pre-outs you should be able to do what you want. What AVR are you using?
    Ah so that's what they're for. Thx.
    I'm using Yamaha RX-A2010BL

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper52 View Post
    Ah so that's what they're for. Thx.
    I'm using Yamaha RX-A2010BL
    Your AVR has pre-outs, see P27 for instructions.
    Richard

Andrew

I enjoyed your video, it was very informative. I am not a professional and I don’t even play one on TV. Sadly, I the guy my friends and family call when they need hi-fi help.*

I think most Home Theatre advice is given by and for people younger than forty. While that sounds strange, hearing changes as we get older and, unfortunately, it hits music lovers the most because of their exposure to LOUD music.

Most of my friends are on the other side of 40, and many have reached the half century mark. Of course, I have relatives even older than that!!!!!! They are often not satisfied with a professional (meaning their local dealer) hook-up and I found three common issues. And once I make these settings they are more satisfied.

Firs, although we don’t think about it, “peripheral” hearing as well as peripheral vision begins to go on people at those ages. So while the dealer may set the surrounds to a certain level, I find that, for people near 50, raising the surrounds 2 or 3 dbs gives them the surround they expected to hear.

Well, we all know that people usually lose the high end first. So I have learned to LOWER the bass, the sub-woofer, because that comes across the strongest, drowning out a lot of the dialogue from the center. Again, lower it by 2 or 3 dbs.

On the same topic we get to the center channel. On some of the more advanced systems, you can just raise the volume of the “voice” frequency of the bell curve. If that can’t be done, of course, raise the center channel so the dialogue is better heard. I am sure you’ve all been in a movie theatre and near you is the wife giving the husband the dialogue he just missed.

I almost automatically do that for “older people” and it works. But no one discusses this.

*And absolutely true story: I was at a family funeral last year and a line of relatives came up to me with questions about their universal remotes, surround sound, TVs, and mostly their cell phones. I honestly got questions, at a funeral, of what DVD sets had the best horror movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Robinson View Post
    In this episode of The Home Cinema Experience I go over some AV preamp and AV receiver basics, including what the differences are between them as well as their similarities. I also discuss which is right for you as well as which features to look out for and which ones you can do without. Enjoy!

thanks for the info...