Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cutting the first part of songs off is an issue that HDMI has had for years. That's why many people choose to use Coax or toslink for CD audio. I have the same issue with an Oppo BDP-103 and Marantz AV8801, so don't be quick to blame Emotiva and Outlaw for a common HDMI issue. Blame Hollywood for the HDCP handshake protocol.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

HDMI... just not what it should be IMO. Will try the coax and digital inputs also.

Though, the other HDMI issue on the Emotiva was clearly a bad input. I will say that it did a real nice job on CD audio on HDMI 2-4, no cut offs etc.

Short of the HDMI issues, the more I think about it both units are really great performers for the money. Going to spend some more time tonight as my wife and 2 oldest kids are out of the house, and the two little ones will be in bed early...
    Last edited by green giant; 04-26-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Hook the Oppo to the Outlaw via RCA, Toslink, or Coax and see if it still cuts off the first bit of the music. I'm curious.
    Ok,

hooked up the oppo to the outlaw by Toslink and Coax this am just to see about the speed.

95% better. Though, skipping songs is hit or miss. Letting the oppo go from song to song it's fine. If you skip songs, sometimes you miss the first .3-.4 seconds of a song. (toslink and coax both have the exact same speed)

I have decided that if I go with one of these two as the pre-pro I would give a new Emotiva Unit the nod. Just using the Oppo as a pre-pro does 95% of what the outlaw can do, though there are a few drawbacks. (fixed crossover for all speakers, a bit of popping between songs and inputs, though no truncation). You also get more of a hiss through center and rears when listening in stereo.

I also watched a couple movies with the outlaw, and I prefer the "snap, crackle, and pop" that the Emotiva gives you over the Outlaw. The outlaw really is a bare bones pre-pro, with a very nice audio sound, but it's more of that classic audiophile sound for sure. Or, if I had bright, bright speakers I wanted to tame down a bit. Otherwise, I feel that overall the Emotiva is the better value, particularly as a home theater pre-pro.

Short term, I'll use the oppo. I could see ending up with the Emotiva again however (I'd try a new unit).
    Last edited by green giant; 04-28-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Cool, thanks for the update.

I wonder why the audio "clipping" with a non-HDMI connection. These types of annoyances are one of the reasons I am going to buy a, older used 2-channel preamp.

Hopefully I can find a Proceed Pre, or Adcom. I really want the Proceed Pre, but they have proven hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Cool, thanks for the update.

I wonder why the audio "clipping" with a non-HDMI connection. These types of annoyances are one of the reasons I am going to buy a, older used 2-channel preamp.

Hopefully I can find a Proceed Pre, or Adcom. I really want the Proceed Pre, but they have proven hard to find.

Well, it's not even a second of the song, and it's not every track, but it did happen a number of times. Keep in mind, mine was a B stock refurb also and Outlaw while not speaking specifically to this issue told me that the next production run has just a couple tweaks from things they have learned.

Quote Originally Posted by green giant View Post
    Ok,

Right now I'm likely going to send both pre-pro's back (because of the HDMI thing) and possibly use the Oppo as a temp solution for a few months. I agree with every review thus far though that for what both the Outlaw and Emotiva cost they are unreal peformers (just get the HDMI figured out).
    What did you end up with as a pre-pro in the end?