Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Moving DirecTV is a Total Pain In the ASS

I am on the phone trying to get DirecTV to my new apartment and as much as they hype their moving services with house ads - its a total pain in the ass.

I've been on the phone for 29 minutes. (updated make that 39 min)

The woman is reading off a script and is a moron. All she did was say "no" to everything I asked for. She tried to sneak in the NFL Sunday Ticket which auto-renews for a big fee.

The main thing I wanted was an install for Thursday and she kept saying no and no. Its an auto-generated time she said. Then I ended up getting what I want.

I then BLEW HER MIND when I suggested that I give a cell phone number for the installers. That was too much to process.

This wasn't an easy process and its far from complete.

Strange, I had a very good experience with DirecTV last summer. It wasn't moving, but I had a technical issue that I could not resolve.

They scheduled a tech to come out, I gave them a number to call when he was on his way, and the tech actually called to confirm. After surveying my equipment he dug up and reinstalled my dish, mounted in concrete, which is apparently the way it was supposed to be to start with. This was during the heat of August with really high humidity. The guy never complained, maybe it was because we kept him with a good supply of ice water.

I second Tracy's experience -- where I live (in suburban Chicago) the options for subscription TV are Uverse (which relies on twisted pairs from the distibution point and is notoriously over compressed) or Xfinity (which relies on ancient coax that is often on poles and gets tattered by any storms that knock down trees) or satellite (which we do get about one storm every six months or so that attenuates the signal below acceptable levels...).

The installers for pretty much all services vary widely these days but I have mostly gotten decent phone support from DirecTV and frankly even the AT&T people have improved.

I wish DirecTV would be more generous with "freebies" but I have no complaints about the service.
    Joseph Zgymunt

I too had a similar problem with Directv when I moved. Don't believe the hype about their moving ads.

I am glad you guys had better experiences that I did.

They are coming out tomorrow. Let's hope everything works out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I am glad you guys had better experiences that I did.

They are coming out tomorrow. Let's hope everything works out OK.
    Did you keep your DVR? I was thinking about getting their new multi-room set up.

When I moved in 2003, DirecTV had no plan. "Grab your DVRs and go". I have had pretty good service with DirecTV which I started in 1998.I really dislike reading about such poor service, I hope they make it up on the receiving end.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Did you keep your DVR? I was thinking about getting their new multi-room set up.
    I like the five tuner "genie" that I have. I have it in the family room adjacent to kitchen. I also have a "standard" single tuner /no dvr older unit in the bedroom and it works great. I wanted the "slave" unit for the basement but I don't want to cough up more cash for that (thus my complaint about stingyness...)
    Joseph Zgymunt

Quote Originally Posted by renov8r View Post
    I like the five tuner "genie" that I have. I have it in the family room adjacent to kitchen. I also have a "standard" single tuner /no dvr older unit in the bedroom and it works great. I wanted the "slave" unit for the basement but I don't want to cough up more cash for that (thus my complaint about stingyness...)
    Yes, they charge for everything. This is the main reason I have one HD DVR split, between the family room and the main theater downstairs. We never watch the satellite on both systems at once, and it allows us to watch recorded programs in either room, without investing in new DVRs.

Our daughter has her own DVR.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    My installer likes to do what you did Tracy. He puts in his and her's DVRs but I think the Genie will do away with that need. If not, I know the solution.

The DirecTV guy is at my place now doing the install.

I don't have any HDTVs yet. I have the 55 inch M-Series Vizio on its way. Not sure about the status of the 65 inch and the Panny ZT is on order. I am going to give the 55 inch to my friend who lives nearby. It won't have many hours on it.

I also got a Paradigm soundbar with wireless sub as well as the MartinLogan soundbar with wireless sub. Talk about how the times have changed... From Wilsons to soundbars!!! But its only temporary....