Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 View Post
    I have the Goldenear Triton Twos. I originally wanted them to replace my two front mains and also the two older Velodyne subs. But at the volumes I like to listen, which is to say that I like the occasional 100dB average music with 110-115dB peaks. From 20-80Hz, at these levels, I had to keep the subs. That said, the GE speakers do sound really really good. The bass is flat down to 32Hz in my room, and have good output all the way to 24Hz at 80-85dB. I hindsight, I may have needed only the Goldenear Triton 5's or 7's, or could have gone with GE Aons, KEF LS50s, maybe some B&W bookshelfs, but little else will compete in the $2,000-$3,000 per pair price range with GE speakers at such amazingly good sound.

But for those who like to rock out and do so loudly, a dedicated subwoofer or two may be required for any full-range speaker. Above sub-bass levels, though, the GEs can rock out.
    Welcome to HomeTheaterEquipment forum. I totally agree with your comments about the Triton 2s.

I would recommend a dedicated sub to anyone, even with the Tritons. They are fully capable of reproducing the lower frequencies but I would imagine adding a dedicated sub would make it easier to flatten out your room's response on the lower end.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 View Post
    I have the Goldenear Triton Twos. I originally wanted them to replace my two front mains and also the two older Velodyne subs. But at the volumes I like to listen, which is to say that I like the occasional 100dB average music with 110-115dB peaks. From 20-80Hz, at these levels, I had to keep the subs. That said, the GE speakers do sound really really good. The bass is flat down to 32Hz in my room, and have good output all the way to 24Hz at 80-85dB. I hindsight, I may have needed only the Goldenear Triton 5's or 7's, or could have gone with GE Aons, KEF LS50s, maybe some B&W bookshelfs, but little else will compete in the $2,000-$3,000 per pair price range with GE speakers at such amazingly good sound.

But for those who like to rock out and do so loudly, a dedicated subwoofer or two may be required for any full-range speaker. Above sub-bass levels, though, the GEs can rock out.
    So I've changed a few times... but like you my original plan was to have the triton 2's replace mains and subs... Didn't work out.

Sold off the P37's... then bought and sold some Salk SS8's.

Now... using some older NHT 3.3's (which do have a nice low end).

I do think the Golden Ear speakers sound nice. The Triton 1's are very nice and do have more bass (though I would still keep a sub for movies). But the GE's really do sound nice. I think that the Triton 5's and dual subs would be equal to if not better than the Triton 2's (assuming a nice blended set-up).

The Triton 1's I do think sound great. Though, if I was going to splurge again (budgets are a bit tight right now) - I might get the Legacy Signature or Focus SE's... damn I liked those at Axpona.