Is DirecTV Looking To Buy Hulu?

Name:  hulu.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  27.5 KB

Bloomburg is reporting
    , that DirecTV is looking to acquire, at least a partial stake in Hulu. Details are not readily available, since the deal is in private negations. Currently, the on-line streaming company is owned by Walt Disney Co., News Corp. and Comcast Corp., each having about a one-third share in Hulu.

Many may wonder why DirecTV is taking another look at Hulu, since they changed their mind back in 2011. I think it could be a good move for DirecTV, with their massive subscriber base. The company already has a good selection of On-Demand titles. Acquiring Hulu would give them an even larger Internet presence, that could possibly be integrated into their TV Anywhere feature. I could see this making Dish Network very nervous.

The streaming service is seeking to double its number of advertisers this year as it targets local businesses, Jean-Paul Colaco, Hulu’s senior vice president of advertising, said earlier this month.

Hulu’s board reached out to potential strategic buyers, people with knowledge of the situation said in March. Its controlling owners, Burbank, California-based Disney and New York-based News Corp., disagree on Hulu’s future direction and have discussed one partner buying out the other’s stake, the people said at the time.

Former News Corp. Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who helped found Hulu, offered at least $500 million, people with knowledge of the situation said last month. Yahoo! Inc. CEO Marissa Mayer met with senior executives of the Los Angeles-based online-television service, people said this month.
    Do you use Hulu or DirecTV? Do you see Hulu as a positive asset for DirecTV?

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I am a DirecTV user and I don't see it.

They need to make their Genie (very cool btw) more like a Roku or AppleTV. Apps and so on. I just don't see why they need to buy into Hulu unless they like it as an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I am a DirecTV user and I don't see it.

They need to make their Genie (very cool btw) more like a Roku or AppleTV. Apps and so on. I just don't see why they need to buy into Hulu unless they like it as an investment.
    Jerry, did you get your Genie free with your move? Very seldom have I had all five channels working at the same time. I love my Genie.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    Very seldom have I had all five channels working at the same time. I love my Genie.
    I bet we could do it. With that many tuners, we would also need the largest external SATA drive available for additional storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I bet we could do it. With that many tuners, we would also need the largest external SATA drive available for additional storage.
    Well, what are you waiting for? You sound like the perfect user for the Genie.
    Richard