New Amp Ordered - Butler 5150

Well,

Seeing as how I've blown my budget out of the water on my new system I figured I might as well replace my 10+ year old Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 amp of which I'm the second owner. It's been a great amp and really sounds great still. (100 x 5 at 8 ohms, can deliver a crap load of current etc...). I won't be selling it until I'm sure I like the new one.

That said, the Butler TDB hybrid amps have intrigued me, and since I'm back in the Klipsch family a bit of tube texture could be a nice match. That and they are US built is a nice benefit. So I ordered up a Butler TDB 5150 amp (150 x 5 8 ohm, 225 x 5 at 4ohm) and from everything I have been told they are very conservatively rated. Mated to my Klipsh P37's which while 4ohms are still effecient as all heck I'll have more than enough power.

So, here in a couple weeks I hope to have it and will report back.

Oh, and 5150 is also the best album of the Van Hagar years, so a nice added benefit.

Maybe I have been living under a rock, but Butler is new to me.

Butler makes some really sweet amps, loved their mono-blocks with the giant tube in the center of the box... The five channel I heard a few years ago was am awesome amp! I suspect the tubes will mate very well with Klipsch speakers.

Hope so,

They are a mofset/tube hybrid design, with tubes just in the output stage I believe. They are supposed to add just a bit of the tube sound through the mids and highs which should be pefect.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Too bad they don't make an amp that is model number 1984 - a much better VH record to inspire an amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    Too bad they don't make an amp that is model number 1984 - a much better VH record to inspire an amp.
    How about OU812?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I can't say I disagree with that sentiment.