Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a good las disc player

I have a few laser discs, but my pioneer LDS2 has gone to that big wall-e station in the sky.

i like to get a used one. Any suggestions on what model to get and where? Other that ebay, I know to check that out
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Banned!!!

I have two of them that work great. They are both Pioneer. They were the best IMHO. One is CLD 3070. Has two sided play. Also CLD -D 701: two sided play plus Time Base Corrector. I have over 100 Laser Discs of all sorts.

How about the 3080?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Sorry, I have to chime in..........

NONE!!!!!!! Throw them out! They are no more and should be so.........

Banned!!!

Kenny: I beg to disagree with you on this. Hey, there are plenty people still using VCR's. cassette decks, 8 tracks, reel to reel, and we all know that Laser disc is much better then all of those. Frankly, my Laser disc collection is so deep, I have some that you cannot get on DVD or Blu Ray. Besides, my player's have optical audio out. One example: I have a LD of Prince's Greatest hits. Yes, you can buy it on DVD (where the quality is no better then LD) and they cut out at least 6 of the greatest hits. How is that better? See my Laser Discs below:

Name:  LaserDisc1 001.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  79.2 KBName:  LaserDisc2 001.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  86.9 KBName:  LaserDisc3 001.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  84.9 KBName:  LaserDisc3 001.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  84.9 KBName:  LaserDisc4 001.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  79.0 KB

Kenny, I know you are joking around. I prefer blu ray and DVD over laser.

the fact is that there are several l several lasers not released on DVD. First is the completely re edited Golfather trilogy. They added about two hours of great new scenes that were too long for the movie. Then they put the movies in chronological order. If you remember Godfather II opens in the past. Here the production begins at that point. The blu ray adds these scenes as bonus, not restored, and its a different feel.

while a blu ray of Bett Boop is coming out, the complete bb has only been put on laser so far.

i love 2001. The criterion laser has Arthur c Clarke discussing it...it has never been put on DVD.

Dr. no, From Russia with love, Goldfinger, also from criterion has movie commentary from the directors and editors of the movie. This was not approved by the movie producers because hey discuss thing they did not want publicized. It is only available on this disc.

There is a ton of stuff like that
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

I used to see tons of LD players on Craigslist; not so many as of late. I have to assume that a good many of them have been trashed.

EBay, Audiogon and Videogon are the only sources I can think of. If I am not mistaken, Pioneer was the last company to release a LD player, it was an Elite model.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I know that is a pretty strong collection but I am with KennyT here as its time to move on.

Find the titles on DVD or Blu-ray.

Banned!!!

Jerry: They're just not the same. They cut out parts; they eliminate stuff that's on the LD. The Prince greatest Hit's is much more complete then anything on DVD or Blu Ray.

Jerry,I am surprised at your response.

But I guess you have given up vinyl and thrown out the records that go with it. And you have thrown out all vcr tapes, even the ones you recorded your family on.
    I care less about the eqyupment and more about the produt. I want to see the Godfather that way and I don't care what machine it is on.

italics unintentional. darn ipad.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp