Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Cipher: Or Not To Be

The Cipher, ten days old, died here tonight. I wish i could tell you that it had a long life, but it had about 20 hours of playtime.

I am really frustrated. This is the third one!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I'm confused.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Personally, I would not get another one. The Oppo is going to be your best friend from now on and letting the Cipher go will free up some rack space.

Get credit from your dealer, again, for something else. What; I have not idea.

That sucks!

I have heard the Cypher and it is a very good sounding player, but damn Leftisc, you must have the worst luck with gear of anyone I have ever heard of! Three Cyphers, multiple ML pieces, damn, you might be able to get a broken Oppo at the success rate you've been having!

KennyT:

Thanks so much. By the way, my name is Barry and I should put that on my signature!

Before it sounds that I always had bad luck, by 2010 I had had my ML 30.6/31.5, my Day Sequerra Tuner and VPI 19 record player for 18-20 years with no problem.

Then,

My ML 40 broke and after a full year of going back and forth, they “traded” me in for a ML 502. At the same time I traded my ML 30.6/31.5 for a SACD, the ML 512.

First let me say I am NOT hard on these things at all.

I got 5 502 s over a two year period. Most came DOA but it would take 4-6 months for them to send a replacement.

Not only did my ML 512 SACD player fail, but everyone in those first runs failed.
    I got four, again often six months apart.

In December 2010 my older Krell 600 BOTH failed do to a faulty part in their construction, I am told. At this time I moved up to the 600e amps which have been flawless.

My Krell 707, which I got late last year has been back to the shop twice and repaired here 2 or 3 times.

My 2011 JVC projector broke three time from 2011- DEC. 2012 they replaced it with the newest model.

These were not little things and they have affected me. I spent so much time in “my room” never having a second thought about repairs. Now I am scared to turn everything on! I check to see if everything is working! I honestly thought I was passed all that with the 707 and Cipher but I was wrong.

PS: There are still two minor glitches in the 707.

PSS To Tracy: PL:EASE Understand that I can kind of "stuck' here. The dealer did me a favor YEARS ago and there is NO WAY I can get my money back other than to privately sell the Krell. This is hard to do because of my throwing it out the window!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Oh I know the story of how you came to get the Cipher. Sorry, I thought it was a recent trade.

Sounds like you have a good dealer, but I have never heard of Krell being so unreliable. Maybe they are sending him refurbs that aren't really properly fixed, to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Oh I know the story of how you came to get the Cipher. Sorry, I thought it was a recent trade.

Sounds like you have a good dealer, but I have never heard of Krell being so unreliable. Maybe they are sending him refurbs that aren't really properly fixed, to start with.
    Actually refurbs usually undergo higher levels of testing than new units.....

Barry,

What other brands does your dealer sell???

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    This is hard to do because of my throwing it out the window!
    At 30 pounds, hopefully you didn't sprain anything.

Tracy, the only thing that is being sprained is my patience. I am, as you suggested, hooking up my OPPO this afternoon. You know what I have, any suggestions on the the Oppo settings?

Kenny, do you mean what other CD players?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp