Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Perthhifi View Post
    Hi, any other users have the marantz av8801? Is it worth an extra $1200 over the yamaha cxa5000? Audyssey being the biggest difference I believe?
    I've never been a huge fan of Yamaha. It has been a few years since I have demoed any of their AVRs, but I never thought they had good amplifier sections. Maybe it was my speakers, but they never sounded good with a Yamaha AVR driving them.

Marantz, I like a lot.

Yeah. I agree. I've never had yamaha or marantz. Only ever owned onkyo, then moved to a pioneer sclx71 that I still have, which will go to the living area. It was also my first class d ice amplifier which sounds pretty good, had no idea at the time what class d was all about. So do you think it's worth the premium of $1200 more?
    Also i dont know if im fussy, but don't love the circular port hole of the marantz design or the side plastic panels. I've not seen a av8801 in the flesh but assume it has the plastic side panels. . Not sure what is like in the states, but marantz is not really big over here in Australia. The other option for me is the denon avr4520, which im told is very similar. ...

I actually like the port hole display. The panel is metal, not plastic. At least it is on my AV7005.

Another option in this price range would be Integra. Moving up the price range, Anthem, Sunfire, Rotel (a bit buggy from what I have heard).

Ok. So the front side wings are metal, looks plastic I thought. Glad to hear it's metal. Might be the lower range models, going by reading reviews. The av7701 was another Orton to save a few dollars, but then I miss out on Audyssey. Yes I looked at anthem,I wish they had a pre amp in between the mrx710 receiver and amv50 price range. It's another $2500 to jump up to the amv50v2. The av8801 is already eating uptop much Bbudget.

The curved panels on the front are plastic...everything else is metal. I would NOT buy and Integra or Onkyo...their quality has really dropped the past few years.

For a $1200 difference, I would personally go with the Yamaha pre/pro.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    David, aren't you running an AV8801?

Yes. But I reviewed the Yamaha pre/pro and liked it equally as much. For a $1200 discount you'd be hard pressed to make a case for the Marantz.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Yes. But I reviewed the Yamaha pre/pro and liked it equally as much. For a $1200 discount you'd be hard pressed to make a case for the Marantz.
    Strangely enough, this is the first pre/pro that I can remember Yamaha coming out with. I was a huge fan of their 80's two-channel gear. However, the AVRs they made in the 90's were not a good match for my speakers. I went through three of them, and they were not for me.

Maybe since this doesn't have amps, it's a better product.

The curved panels on the front are plastic...everything else is metal. I would NOT buy and Integra or Onkyo...their quality has really dropped the past few years.

I have An Onkyo 5008. The hdmi board is of poor quality it has fried twice on me.

I'm still running an older Onkyo AVR, the TX-SR705 in my family room system. It works great but man, does it run hot.