Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Marantz AV8801 - wow

While I am awaiting my Butler Audio 5150, I decided to make a step up on my AV pre-amp from my Emotiva UMC 200. I got a great deal on it, so I jumped.

I've tried the UMC 200 and Outlaw 975, and my thoughts are in another thread.

Interestingly it's done two things. 1. Show me how good a pre-amp can sound for music. 2. Show me what a bargain the UMC 200 is overall, particularly for theater.

The UMC 200 sounds good, honestly it's sounds like a solid receiver from a pre-amp standpoint, with the added benefit of your choice of an outboard amp. For movies, it really does a nice job. The marantz sounds better, likely a lot better IMO, yet the UMC 200 sounds very good particularly with a subwoofer filling your LFE.

Now, for music, and stereo listening the Marantz is just outstanding. All the detail of the UMC 200 (which does a nice job with details) but it does smooth things out a bit. My speakers are very dynamic so both do the job there (klipsch palladium p37's).

In two channel the bass control, output, and response of the Marantz blows away the UMC 200. Audyseey XT32 also really did a great job EQing my sub and rear channels, I'm using the bypass on the mains but my room is pretty good for mid's and highs (but it's a tough room for bass). I would also tell you that at lower volumes the Marantz maintains much more of it's character and sound.

My current amp is a Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 (good US built harman) and it's pretty smooth. My hope is the butler audio takes that smoothness just a bit further.

Still playing around with the Marantz. The other real impressive part is the DAC's are just outstanding. Running both my Oppo and Apple TV in via HDMI, and while I also tried analog for kicks on the Oppo for music - the HDMI sounds fantastic.

The marantz is not inexpensive (though street prices are much less than 3500). I would say it's safe to say it's about 4x more than the Emotiva.

Is it worth it....

Well, for me it is. Music is still more important to me. I also think on movies it's better, and from a bass management standpoint it was outstanding.

My thoughts are depending on budgets and needs the UMC 200 is a really nice piece for someone wanting to spend about 2k on a receiver/separates. That allows you a much better upgrade path. If you listen to movies 80% of the time, you might really be satisfied with it long term. I'd much rather drop 600 on the UMC 200 and 1400 on a good new amp, or great used amp than drop 2k on a receiver.

But, if you are looking to step it up a notch on movies, and really get a killer music pre-amp - this 8801 is just tremendous thus far.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Funny, this is what I directly compared the Krell Foundation too.

The Krell is MUCH more expensive than the Marantz and I use a Marantz slimline receiver in my living room system thus I am pretty fond of their stuff. With that said - the Krell killed the 8801 sonically. I guess you have to at 2x the price.

I am not shocked that the 8801 crushed on the 975 and Emo. It ought to at its price.

Great write-up. I too am not surprised at your findings, but it also confirms some of my suspicions.

As good as the AV8801 may be with movies, it's music where you really hear the difference. Is that we listen more critically with music?

I still think that if you are building a system for mainly movies, the Emotiva and Outlaw pre/pros are outstanding values.

I dunno if is a fair fight to compare anything with high resolution room correction to anything without it. Having even just low frequencies "adjusted" by an unemotional computer (or a good test equipment laden sound pro...) will UNDOUBTEDLY make the WHOLE listening experience better.

I would even go so far as to say that if you had a room that was so well treated with acoustic panels and such that a properly operating pre-pro like the 975 would be very very hard to distinguish from a far more costly solution. I believe there is a review on the site that says so much...

Fact is Andrew knows how to use acoustic treatments to "fix" the problems in his listening room AND relies on outboard EQ device to apply high resolution filters to the low frequency of his listening setup.

it frustrates me greatly that the marketing mindset of the audio makers prevents a high resolution auto EQ from being sold at a "mass market" price point.
    Joseph Zgymunt

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    Funny, this is what I directly compared the Krell Foundation too.

The Krell is MUCH more expensive than the Marantz and I use a Marantz slimline receiver in my living room system thus I am pretty fond of their stuff. With that said - the Krell killed the 8801 sonically. I guess you have to at 2x the price.

I am not shocked that the 8801 crushed on the 975 and Emo. It ought to at its price.

Well hopefully I will win that krell...and I'll do another comparison!

Can I win the Krell if I don't Facebook like it? I don't do Facebook...

Joseph, I agree with you about the treating the room. The main issue is that most people do not know about the need for room treatments. Of those who do, a lot of them are hesitant to use them.

Most of them don't look good in the room, unless you are going for the man cave look. They also are not as satisfying as placing a new pre/pro into your rack.

Personally, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Audyssey. It seems to work well in my partly treated room with movies. However, it seems to suck the soul out of my system, for music.

Quote Originally Posted by green giant View Post
    I don't think liking it on Facebook matters for signing up for the sweepstakes. However, it certainly helps Jerry and HomeTheaterReview.com.

I have friends that set up "hobby" Facebook accounts. If they are into home theater, they search their favorite AV brands, and like their pages. This way they get an additional resource for info.

Quote Originally Posted by renov8r View Post
    I dunno if is a fair fight to compare anything with high resolution room correction to anything without it. Having even just low frequencies "adjusted" by an unemotional computer (or a good test equipment laden sound pro...) will UNDOUBTEDLY make the WHOLE listening experience better.

I would even go so far as to say that if you had a room that was so well treated with acoustic panels and such that a properly operating pre-pro like the 975 would be very very hard to distinguish from a far more costly solution. I believe there is a review on the site that says so much...

Fact is Andrew knows how to use acoustic treatments to "fix" the problems in his listening room AND relies on outboard EQ device to apply high resolution filters to the low frequency of his listening setup.

it frustrates me greatly that the marketing mindset of the audio makers prevents a high resolution auto EQ from being sold at a "mass market" price point.
    A couple thoughts here.

I actually have a pretty well treated room, Bryan at GIK helped me quite a bit. I could hear very distinct differences between the 975 and UMC200. Did not run EMO q either.

As for the marantz vs. umc 200. I first compared the using no correction software on either and just ran the mains. Very clear sonic differences. Particularly in the bass region.

I do like audyseey for correcting my sub and rears, but I actually bypass it for just the mains, while letting it EQ the sub for music and yes it does make a difference.

This does bring up what I would like to see as far as a review. I'd like a double blind back to back on companies mid line components and high end.

For instance a blinded, head to head of the av7005 and 8801 etc.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green giant View Post
    Well hopefully I will win that krell...and I'll do another comparison!

Yes, you can win if you don't like Krell on Facebook.

Hi, any other users have the marantz av8801? Is it worth an extra $1200 over the yamaha cxa5000? Audyssey being the biggest difference I believe?