Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation How To Keep Your Child Safe From a TV Tip-Over

Name:  Screen shot 2013-10-29 at 8.25.25 PM.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  11.1 KB

We've talked child safety, as it relates to home theater displays before. TrippleJ even posted a thread about it, which is now a Sticky in our Home Theater Furniture, Racks and Stands forum.

I cannot stress how important and inexpensive it is to make sure that you properly mount and anchor your flat panel displays. Starting at around $5, you can buy a strap that keeps your display from being tipped over, destroying the display, but more importantly keeping it from injuring a child.

Recently, Adrienne Maxwell, Editor of HomeTheaterReview.com, posted a great story about this very issue. She goes in depth, not only pointing out the dangers, of tipping a display over, but also how inexpensive anchoring your display can be.

Here's a link to Adrienne's article on How To Keep Your Child Safe From a TV Tip-Over.

As I was walking the show floor at CEDIA last month, my attention was drawn to a section of the SANUS booth dedicated to TV safety. SANUS has partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide and created the website called TVSafety.org to educate people on the danger of improperly secured flat-panel TVs. As both a TV reviewer and mother of a four-year-old, this topic hits close to home, and I think it's a worthwhile endeavor to help them spread the word.

Additional Resources
    • Read more original stories like this in our Feature News Stories section.
    • See more LED HDTV news from HomeTheaterReview.com.
    • Explore reviews in our Racks and Stands Review section.

You might be surprised to learn just how serious an issue this has become. According to a study released this summer by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the number of children injured by a TV tip-over has increased 125 percent between 1990 and 2011. Each year, more than 17,000 children are treated in emergency rooms for TV-related injuries. That's one child every 30 minutes, and children ages five and younger are at the highest risk for injury. While some of these injuries are minor cuts, scrapes, bumps, and bruises, more serious injuries like broken bones and organ damage have also been reported. The most alarming statistic of all is that, once every three weeks, a child is killed by a TV tip-over. 96 percent of those reported deaths were children under the age of 10. If you need a few more statistics, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has done its own research and found that 2011 saw the highest number of deaths due to TV and furniture tip-overs, with falling TVs representing 62 percent of those deaths.

Flat-panel TVs have certainly transformed our homes. Thinner, lighter panels and rapidly falling price tags have allowed us to add much larger screen sizes all around the house. But the thin form and lighter weight that make these TVs so appealing is the very thing that makes them so much easier to tip over. As someone who has set up my fair share of large-screen panels, I often question the stability of the supplied TV stands, which is why my daughter is not allowed in the home theater when unsecured review samples are set up. These new edge-lit LED/LCD panels may feel like feathers compared with the CRTS of yore, but the average weight of a flat-panel TV is still 50 pounds. And if you think that you don't have to worry as much about the smaller TV on the bedroom dresser as you do about the 60-inch panel in the living room, the AAP report actually states that over 60 percent of the reported injuries were caused by TVs 27 inches or smaller. The CPSC report theorizes that, as people purchase new flat panels, those older heavier CRTs get moved to the bedroom, where they're placed up on dressers and are seldom properly secured to anything. Forty percent of those 2011 TV deaths occurred in a bedroom.

Look, we can't protect our kids from everything. Accidents will happen, but why increase the odds within your own home when TV (and general furniture) tip-overs are so easily preventable? The CPSC recommends the following steps to properly secure furniture in your home:

* Anchor furniture to the wall or the floor. Safety 1st is a popular manufacturer of safety products for children, and the company sells furniture wall straps for as little at $5. QuakeHOLD! also sells furniture safety straps at hardware stores like Home Depot.

* Place TVs on sturdy, low bases and push the TV as far back on the furniture as possible.

* Keep remote controls, toys, and other items that might attract children off of TV stands or furniture.

* Keep TV and/or cable cords out of the reach of children.

* Make sure free-standing kitchen ranges and stoves are installed with anti-tip brackets.

* Supervise children in rooms where these safety tips have not been followed.
    PLEASE, read this story in its entirety by clicking here: How To Keep Your Child Safe From a TV Tip-Over.

Good article. Every tv and I mean EVERY tv needs to be properly anchored.. Can't imagine as a parent ever having a tv fall on a kid.. Would not want anybody to have the guilt.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Good article. Every tv and I mean EVERY tv needs to be properly anchored.. Can't imagine as a parent ever having a tv fall on a kid.. Would not want anybody to have the guilt.
    I agree, and I am making this thread a sticky as well.

Thanks and thats really very good and helpful for that concern.
    Enjoy Music, Movies & Entertainment on home cinema system with proper Home cinema installation

Banned!!!
    It seems to me that there are more & more TV "Installer's" out there. Sometimes it is driven by a "Cheap" price for an installation. Some are offering rediculously cheap cost to install them. It is far more important to install in a safe manner. You must pay close attention to TV weight as it relates to the capacity of the mount that you are using. Unfortunately, there are many "cheap" mounts out there with names we have never heard of.
    In the ol' days, I was called to install a TV (old style) in a boys room. The father HAD GONE OUT AND BOUGHT A 27" Toshiba TV and a wall mount bracket. (cheap brand). The TV weighed about 75 lbs. The capacity of the mount he had bought said the capacity was 80 lbs. Are you kidding me? I told the father that there was just no way I was going to do this. I told him that I valued his son's life more then this. He said: what's the matter? I said this is a dangerous combination. He asked what I could do. I said, if you wish, I would get him a much better mount that it's capacity is 165 lbs. ( this was a VMP mount). He agreed and he returned that cheap mount to Best Buys. These idiots at BB should be legally responsible for selling this dangerous combination. I did the job a day or two later, and all turned out great. You can't be too carefulo, especialloy when it comes to children.
    Last edited by mrhookup; 10-31-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: repeat

Banned!!!
    We are also Angie's List Business partner's. There are those on the site that are offering dirt cheap prices on TV installs. Soime of the prices are really cheap. I believe they are cutting corners. Probably using cheap mounts. We show up with a wide array of mounting options that will accomodate masonary mounting hardware. We even show up with hardware designed to install TV's into metal studs (Which are usually considered to be non- weight bearing). There are ways to get around that, yet, still install it in a very safe manner. Be very careful with this.

I think the old adage, you get what you paid for applies sadly for those who want to get cheap mounts for their very expensive tv.

The main problem that I see is with regular old LCD and LED panels. They are top heavy and the cheap plastic stands they include, are not safe to use.

We have a 60" LED in our family room. The stand that came with it is a joke. The panel needed to be strapped to my wood "TV stand", if for no other reason, to keep it from tipping over and destroying it.

Kids Safe Worldwide, Consumer Reports, or other consumer watch group needs to pressure display manufacturers to make their stands, more substantial.

The Sanus Foundations Furniture Mounts, look really sturdy. I wish it could be adapted to work with my existing stand.

Name:  Sanus_FMS01.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  17.5 KB

Banned!!!
    Hey Tracy: Do you know what the model number is for this stand/ mount. I have a customer right now for such a unit. He particularly wants a corner mount cabinet. This looks like it is in fact a corner mount unit. It would also be helpful if you could provide the measurments for it. The customer has a Sony 37" LCD TV. Do they also make it in black?

Tracy: Here follows one of the best ways to secure your flat screen from the rear. Luckily, it's cheap and availoable from most hardware stores. Piece of cake. Use it with metal wire for best results. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning:

Name:  Eye to eye turnbuckle.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  3.3 KB