Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hey David, What do you think of this MARANTZ SR5005 100w X 7ch 3-D Home Theater Surround Receiver? It retails for $799 on sale for $399 MARANTZ SR5005 100w X 7ch 3-D Home Theater Surround Receiver | Accessories4less

I just noticed it's refurbished. Seems that may be a bad idea.

I wouldn't buy a refurbished piece of electronics personally.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Yeah. Even with warranty, I'm just not comfortable going that route.

Hi David, What do you think about this set-up? Is it better spec wise (8 ohms etc) than the Pioneers (6 ohms)? http://www.hsuresear...hybrid3pkg.html - $1139.00 Its the Hybrid 3 3.1
    And the vtf woofer?

There's a 7-yr warranty on the Hybrid packages

I've never personally listened to HSU speakers, so all I can tell you is that they have a good reputation online. I'd search out reviews and see how they stack up. Check Soundandvision.com, CNET, and maybe do an Internet search for reviews.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Will do.

I've ruled out the Denon in favor of the Yamaha cuz that model Denon got some bad reviews; although, it's tough to know if reviews are valid or competitor plants, ugh! The Denon has greater output at 135 and 105 wpc but the Yamaha has 7.2 rather than Denon's 7.1.

How does 7.1 differ from 7.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I've ruled out the Denon in favor of the Yamaha cuz that model Denon got some bad reviews; although, it's tough to know if reviews are valid or competitor plants, ugh! The Denon has greater output at 135 and 105 wpc but the Yamaha has 7.2 rather than Denon's 7.1.

How does 7.1 differ from 7.2?
    I wouldn't put all my faith in reviews, unless they are on pro AV sights. HomeTheaterReview.com, Sound and Vision and a few others would be the reviews I would give more weight.

7.1 vs 7.2 has to do with subwoofer outputs. the 7 means up to seven main audio channels. The .1 means one sub output and the .2 means two sub outputs.

Yeah, the reviews seem unreliable. I am on the HomeTheaterReview.com forum and this one. Plan to check out Sound and Vision as you mentioned earlier.

Ahh! I knew the 7 but not the .1 or .2. When would one need 2 subs? For a second zone?

opps this is the HomeTheaterReview forum :-O I meant I'm also on HomeTheaterForum.com