Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I have a URC remote that controls the lights and all of my equipment. I have it set up that if I pause the movie, the lights automatically come on at 50% power. Works perfectly for pee breaks, which happen a lot more frequently now that I'm getting older
    Now that's what I'm talking about! At my age every trip to the bathroom is an emergency! I'm going to get me one of those "URC" remotes if it can work with everything that's not line of sight. What do I need to buy for the light switch to make it work?
    Last edited by BassEarDrum; 11-25-2011 at 06:38 AM.

I simply bought a Lutron IR dimmer switch and programmed the Remote for that into my MX-500, though you can do that with any remote..

Quote Originally Posted by pbc View Post
    I simply bought a Lutron IR dimmer switch and programmed the Remote for that into my MX-500, though you can do that with any remote..
    Very cool. Thanks for your help!

Contact Mike R at Surf Remote Control (do a google search). He can hook you up.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

+1 for Mike; he is who I bought mine from. Spotties in the old days got a small discount. Don't know if he will do the same for HTE guys now. Never hurts to ask though.
    JR

I was ready to discuss an order for the remote and light then went back to the beginning of the thread. Jerry has slowed me down with URC and amps that start with "E". Is the concensus that we are doing ok with URC or no?
    My 7.1 system:

JVC 4910 FP
    Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 LCD FP
    Carada Precision 96" BW 16.9 Screen
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD Player
    Panasonic DMP-BD35K Blu-ray Disc Player
    Sony PS3 (Blue Ray)
    Rotel RB-1080 Amplifier
    Denon 4308CI
    Belkin PureAV PF60 Powercenter
    Axiom Audio M80 v2's (Mains)
    Axiom Audio VP150 v2 (Center)
    Axiom Audio QS8 v2's (Surrounds)
    Axiom Audio QS8 v2's (Rear Surrounds)
    HSU VTF-3 MK3 With Turbocharger (Subwoofer)
    SVS PB2+/2 Gloss Black (Subwoofer)

Remotes and lights

The Lutron with IR control works just fine for me. I use an old Harmony 880 and simply have to call up the device to control light levels. Haven't bothered making lights part of an activity because there are too many activities where we wouldn't use it.

Have had trouble with the 880 and Logitech replaced it no questions. very good service. Some switches going now after about five more years and will get another Harmony. I found the activities system to die for. simple to set up and use. Multiple button pushes a royal pain in the schtuetz even for me and I am a geek. My better half will never go that route again.

If there are other systems using an activities system, someone please tell me; Harmony is really good but it's the activities system that shines.

Kent

As a long time URC dealer and beta tester, I have to say that they are not (for whatever reason) particularly concerned about press sources that are aimed at end users. This is why you only see ads in trade magazines like CEPro. Their target is custom installers that will install and program the remote system for you. While we do that locally, we have also supported the "hobbiest" that wants to and is quite capable of, programming the remote themselves. As URC will neither supply the software to end users or provide warranty coverage unless purchased from an authorized dealer, your buying options are limited.

That all being said, they still manufacture some great remotes. I also used to beta test and sell Harmonys before Logitech bought them out. While you can't beat a Harmony remote for under $200, when you go up in price range or are using RF, they are less of a bargain. Their construction is rather cheap, even with their more expensive remotes, and their RF is no where near as good as URC's. However, unlike URC, they are aimed at the end user with their wizard-based setup. URC remotes have much more programming capability and flexibility, but are not as easy to program as a Harmony. Where Harmony sets up an "activity" (actually a macro) for you, you decide how and where to program a macro on a URC remote. RTI makes some excellent remotes, but they're even more expensive and restrictive (to end users) than URC.

Hope this helps.
    Mike
    SurfRemoteControl.com
    THX-certified calibrator and Contributing Reviewer, ProjectorReviews.com

Hi Mike, glad you found us. Still loving my MX's. Any newer remotes that read mxf files?
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Hi Mike, glad you found us. Still loving my MX's. Any newer remotes that read mxf files?
    JR
    Hi Jerry,

Only the MX-850 can use an mxf file directly. Otherwise, you can drag commands from an mxf file to any other remote via the Universal Browser.
    Mike
    SurfRemoteControl.com
    THX-certified calibrator and Contributing Reviewer, ProjectorReviews.com