Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DVR+ Is What Cable-Cutters Have Waited For

Attention Tracy:

The new Channel Master DVR+ is looking to become the over-the-air recording solution for subscription-phobic cord-cutters.

Channel Master DVR+ - Video Players and Recorders - CNET Reviews
    Richard

Richard, I would have two of those right now if I had better OTA reception.

About 90% of our viewing is from the major broadcast networks. However, living in a valley makes reception unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Richard, I would have two of those right now if I had better OTA reception.

About 90% of our viewing is from the major broadcast networks. However, living in a valley makes reception unreliable.
    I had forgotten you live in a valley. Have you tried using an outside eight segment bowtie antenna with a signal amplifier? Do you have VHF channels in addition to UHF?
    Richard

Banned!!!
    Richard: I have a rather large grid looking HD Antenna (square). We mounted it on a telescoping pole mount and it goes up about 25' higher then the roof (we have a lot of trees around here). I peaked the signal with my Sencore signal strength meter. We used it for a few years, then we switched to FIOS. Now it's like Toan (tits on a nun: useless).

We have also had great results with the Square Shooter HD Antenna (it's also powered). It's quite small ( a square approx 2'). For a roof antenna, it also looks really good. We used one of these on the roof of a Dental facility. There were approx 6 operatories, not to mention other TV's in other rooms. It was a flat roof, so we used a non- pen mount using cinder blocks (trust me, it will never move). Inside we used a distribution amp because of the number of rooms. It works amazingly well. The doctor didn't want another monthly bill. He gets all of the OTA HD channels in the area. We also ran the output of a Blu Ray player out to all TV's. We previously removed all of the old TV's, and put in about 8 new flatscreens (26" ceiling mounted. What a difference.

Banned!!!
    Now, I am seriously thinking about cutting cable. I, like many other cable subscriber's are just fed up with the constant raising of their prices. Also tired of the 2 year contracts. We feel like we are being raped by these companies.

Many ex subscribers are leaving in record numbers. If this continues, Verizon Fios, Comcrap, etc are feeling the pain. I FOR ONE, DO NOT FEEL AT ALL SYMPATHETIC TOWARDS THEM. If this trend continues, we, the paying customer's may be able to bring them to their knees. Then they will have no choice but to drop prices, get rid of the contracts. Most of their customer's are totally fed up.

I still cannot figure out from the other choices, exactly what I should do. HELP! I'm thinking about Roku 3, ad paying for 3 - 4 apps, such as Hulu +, Crackle, Net Flix. I'M SO CONFUSED NOW, I DON'T KNOW. IT'S NOT CHEAP AS THERE IS AN INITIAL OUTLAY. (FOR ME, AT LEAST 6 Roku's). I can't even make up my mind about the apps. I would like a certain number of Channels & Movies. Since we are Wrestling fans, I will consider the WWE Network ($9.99/month, but you get it all including PPV's).

I'm trying to convince my wife to give up on home phone lins (many people are simply using their cell phones, or you could get Ooma. (phone service for about $100.00 per year & great quality). I have to make this decision before July 15th or they will keep me under contract for another 2 years, which right now feels like a death sentence. If you can help me, please make suggestions. Thank you.

Banned!!!
    I forgot; but we also have a killer HD Roof Antenna that I put up about 5 years ago. We are not currently using it since we get local's from FIOS. If I drop FIOS, the Antenna will become a godsend. My antenna is on a telescoping pole that rises at least 25' above my roof.

Tracy: since you live down in a valley, you should calculate just how high your antenna would need to be. This might just be the option you have been looking for. The the Channel Master DVR + or the TIVO (for OTA signals would be good.

There is, however, a down side. When you leave cable, I don't think you can get cer tain channels such as, AXS TV, Paladia, and other's. No way to get those from OTA signals. As you can see, the decision is very complex. Help me; I'm drowning.

Actually, I ran the tuner search feature in our new-ish LED and was shocked. It found 36 different OTA broadcasts with the same antenna and amp that we've had since 2002.

I haven't had time to see if the main ones, (ABC, CBS, NBS, and Fox) are stable, but they sure looked great. I am going to spend some time with it when I have a little more time.

It's promising.

Jeff,

I think you should consider Amazon's Prime. You do enough buying of electronics you may already have Prime for shipping. If not, Prime is $100/year and includes two day shipping on Amazon.Also, HBO is suppose to offer a subscription over the Internet for around 10 or 11 dollars which is cheaper than via satellite.

My DirecTV bill is $140 dollars/month and I don't have any of their premium movie packages. I am also tired of these high DirecTV bills. I have had DirecTV for 17 years, I can't remember the last time DirecTV has any contact with me. I intend to have contact with them.
    Richard

Banned!!!
    Richard: It's not just DirectTV that does this. They all put you under contract; constantly raise their prices, etc. Don't believe any of them. To tell you the truth, I don't give a damn about HBONO. I've had it before; mostly old Movies & they repeat everything over & over. People are cutting the cable (and Satellite) in record numbers. We will all teach them a lesson.

In terms of Prime, I'm not sure if I understand the whole thing. I know about the free shipping and that's fine. However, I need to know what else you get with Prime. Movies? TV Shows? WHAT EXACTLY will we get. Which Apps are best. Some give you old shows, Movies. Which can give you current (or even last seasons) Movies, Shows, etc. That's really what I need to know. It seems that no one can give me that information. It's very frustrating. Maybe no one really knows for sure. I'm getting close to giving up on all of this.

Jeff,

I've had Prime for over 10 years for two day shipping. Recently Amazon added:
    Prime instant movies. Their library has something like 20,000 movies and movies just released to the theaters for a premium. In addition to movies they have TV shows, the most recent cost a fee.
    Prime Music
    Prime Photos
    Prime Kindle Lending Library

At the present time, I think Prime is the best deal around for $100/year.
    Richard