Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DirecTV and Dish Announce Rate Hikes for 2014

Name:  dish_directv.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  10.5 KB

Do you have DirecTV or Dish satellite service? If so, they have a late Christmas present for you......another rate hike.

Both companies have announced rate hikes for 2014, listing increasing content fees as the reason. Most packages will cost between $2 to $5 more, per month.

DirecTV subscribers will pay an additional 4.4%, on average per month. For example their base “Entertainment” package will jump $3, to $58 per month, while the top-end “Premier” will increase $5 to $130 per month.

Dish’s customers will see a 5.5% increase, but it will not be on all of its packages. Dish’s base "Welcome" plan will remain $20, and "America's Choice 120+ plan" will still cost $60. However, most other Dish plans will see a $5 monthly fee hike. The “Smart Pack,” price will rise $3 to $33 next year.

Oh boy, I can't wait.

At what point do we just say screw it and cut off the cable/satellite providers. My cable bill is now $150 (including Internet), which is crazy. In 1994 I was paying $12.95.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I may be nearing that point now. If I had more reliable OTA reception, I would be using a computer with a tuner card as a DVR, and picking up the other shows off the Internet.

We have no premium channels and are paying just over $100, now.

I remember when cable first came to town it was $8 a month, a good value for more channels and perfect reception. I'm at about $160 for cable/internet...cant stand it.

There's supposedly a bill in Congress right now that would allow people to only pay for channels that they want...hopefully it will pass
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    At what point do we just say screw it and cut off the cable/satellite providers. My cable bill is now $150 (including Internet), which is crazy. In 1994 I was paying $12.95.
    Count your blessings, my last Comcast bill was $225 and has been as high as ~$260 before I fought with them. I do have all their channels though, plus phone and internet. I'm hooked and dangling in the wind.
    JR

Hi David,

My DirecTV bill is $129.02 for just the ultimate package which doesn't have any premium channels. I do have four DirecTV boxes. I may send two boxes back, they're only used minimally to watch TV in other rooms.

Your $150 with Internet doesn't seem too high to me. I don't know what I pay for 10Mbps DSL because it's bundled and it's convoluted on purpose, like a telephone bill.
    Richard

There's supposedly a bill in Congress right now that would allow people to only pay for channels that they want...hopefully it will pass
    The cable & satellite providers may end up having to provide "pick & choose" but they will ensure you don't save anything like you should.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Count your blessings, my last Comcast bill was $225 and has been as high as ~$260 before I fought with them. I do have all their channels though, plus phone and internet. I'm hooked and dangling in the wind.
    JR
    How is their phone service?
    David Vaughn

My basic bill (phone/Cable/Internet) with Verizon is about $180 a month ( I do have some additional extras). When i had Direct TV and separate bills for cable and internet, just about 6 years ago, the total bill was nearly $300 a month. BUT I had to pay extra for the direct TV boxes, so it actually came to about $320 a month. So I am a but happy.

However, we MUST also blame the raising costs on the actual networks who charge the cable providers more each year. That bill in Congress has been stalled for years, I doubt a real bill, to help reduce or fees will never come as long as these companies pay for the campaigns of those who are in office.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc