DirecTV May Drop The Weather Channel Tomorrow

Name:  DirecTV_vs_Weather.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  12.1 KB

There seems to be an endless supply of stories about disputes between satellite or cable providers, with some channel or network. Most of them don't effect me at all, so I generally tune them out. This one hits a little close to home.

Today, I read that DirecTV and The Weather Channel have also been "duking it out" over carriage fees. The agreement between the two is due to expire tomorrow, January 14th. Though they have been in negotiations for a new deal, none has been agreed upon by both parties.

DirecTV has gone so far as to say they don't really need The Weather Channel, since they have their own city-by-city source for weather information. They have also made it clear in a statement made earlier this week, "people now use so many other ways to retrieve weather-related information," and have recently launched its own channel, WeatherNation (on channel 361), as an alternative to the Weather Channel.

In response, The Weather Channel has been running a "crawl" near the bottom of the screen with HEADLINES, in bold text. The are also including emailed and Tweeted messages of support for the channel. Additionally, they have set up a website, KeeptheWeatherChannel.com.

Name:  weather.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  74.1 KB

I must admit, I do not watch The Weather Channel on a daily basis. However, if I know bad weather is coming, I tune it.

What about you, do you watch The Weather Channel?

why watch the weather channel.. You can find the weather details for any region just about everywhere now. Shoot, even my samsung led has a weather app which gives me enough details..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

i agree that there are many different ways to get weather information. However, I would rather watch the in-depth coverage The Weather Channels offers, if things are going to be bad. It doesn't happen often, but you can't beat their coverage for severe weather.

Maybe that's the problem in part, I don't watch unless it gets bad.

It's fine with me, except the effect will not lower customer costs.
    Richard

Comcast may be next?
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    It's fine with me, except the effect will not lower customer costs.
    True. Both DirecTV and Dish have already announced rate hikes for 2014.

I would be happy to give them a list of 20+ channels, I could live without. Less channels would mean less programming fees, right? Other than my Grandmother, who really watches The Gameshow Network, and she has cable?

Must be a generation thing; my mother in law is also hooked on the game channel.
    JR