Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I agree with Jim. I personally use a ported sub, but a new sub will be my next upgrade. I contemplated getting a new projector, but I'm waiting for the technology to evolve further before outputting any money.
    I like the fact that ported subs usually dig deeper. I love to get low.

As for projectors........I was anxiously awaiting your next upgrade, David. I just hit 3K hours on the Mitsubishi, replaced the lamp, and she's still alive.

Too funny Tracy. I haven't ruled it out 100%, but with a kid going off to college next year my upgrade cycle is going to have to be extended
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks. Great comments from everyone. I've seen that both sealed and ported subwoofers are great. I think I might be more stuck than before. Haha. Maybe I just get the dual pb13ultras. And be done with it. Sounds like the sealed subs ate greatin sound and accurate, but also sounds like the ported have heaps more output and power for movies. I can also run the ported unit in sealed mode. .....

Perth,

Personally, having owned by and after lengthy discussions with Ed Mullen at SVS about it, if you can accommodate the size of the PB13's, and the X try cost, it's a no brainer. Go with the dual PB13s.

In sealed mode the PB13 performs almost identical to the SB13,and actually gets you a bit more extension and output due to the much larger box size. So you can put the PB13 in sealed mode to effectively know what an SB13 would pretty much sound ad perform like in your room. The SB13 driver is a little more "tuned" for sealed applications but I'm not sure it would be that noticeable to the PB13 in sealed mode to be honest.

The PB13 is still considered one of the best ported woofers ever designed with the Rythmic you mentioned above almost it's equal.

Here is the SB13 on top of my old PB13 to give you and idea of the size difference.

Btw, in my 13x17x9 family room (feet, not meters), a single SB13 does incredibly well though, it hits its limits as I turn the volume up to insane levels so 2 would be perfect if you are a bass a holic.

But the PB13 give you the flexibility and SQ of sealed and the output of ported so you can try both. I doubt I could tell the sealed mode sound quality vs the ported mode sound quality in a blind test.

Cheers,

STeve
    Last edited by pbc; 01-25-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Steve,

I made a similar comment in "Ported versus Sealed". I felt you got the best of both worlds. I'm hoping that SVS has a new edition by the time I'm ready to upgrade.

My existing subs are the same size.
    Richard

Good point Steve...having the option to seal the ports is having the best of both worlds.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

=pbc;32184]Perth,

Personally, having owned by and after lengthy discussions with Ed Mullen at SVS about it, if you can accommodate the size of the PB13's, and the X try cost, it's a no brainer. Go with the dual PB13s.

In sealed mode the PB13 performs almost identical to the SB13,and actually gets you a bit more extension and output due to the much larger box size. So you can put the PB13 in sealed mode to effectively know what an SB13 would pretty much sound ad perform like in your room. The SB13 driver is a little more "tuned" for sealed applications but I'm not sure it would be that noticeable to the PB13 in sealed mode to be honest.

The PB13 is still considered one of the best ported woofers ever designed with the Rythmic you mentioned above almost it's equal.

Here is the SB13 on top of my old PB13 to give you and idea of the size difference.

Btw, in my 13x17x9 family room (feet, not meters), a single SB13 does incredibly well though, it hits its limits as I turn the volume up to insane levels so 2 would be perfect if you are a bass a holic.

But the PB13 give you the flexibility and SQ of sealed and the output of ported so you can try both. I doubt I could tell the sealed mode sound quality vs the ported mode sound quality in a blind test.

Cheers,

STeve[/QUOTE]

Fantastic post. Thank you very much. Now i want them both. Haha. Maybe i start withthe sealed then get the ported and move the sealed to the family room. I can afford and fit the ported, so maybe i just get the poryed...arrghh

Administrator

I had no idea there was such a size difference! Thanks for the pic. Fitting two of the SB's in for me would be difficult to impossible.

I'm gonna go two of each if I get a very good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Perthhifi View Post
    Thanks again. I like the rythmiks too. But will stick with svs for now. But if I'm not happy they will end in the family living area and I'll get either the pb13 ultras in the theatre or the rythmik f15hp x two.

I wouldn't be so quick to put Rythmik behind SVS.... They are equals to one another

Rythmik E15 vs SVS SB13 Ultra - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/Alphas/Mites,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8