Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SVS SB13 or SVS PB13 or Rythmik F15HP or Something else

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this site. Have been referring to this site over the last few months, it's a great site..... hoping to get some of your help and share your experience, s.

I've been pulling my hair out on each and every component choice, it's sure hard to decide when then are so many great options out there. My room is approx 5.6m long x 4.5m wide. I think that's about 18x14.and height is about 2.8m on average

Ive been trying to get a system that works well for both movies and music, hence why it's been hard to decide. Room is primary for movies but my love for music is growing.

I was about to get a pair of sb13 ultras, but was concerned I would not get enough bass, but I guess my room is not large. Then thought I'd get the ported ultras from svs, but then others have told be to get rythmiks instead. I like tight accurate bass, but I do want that basd that kicks you in the chest, but get tired o of that loose bass that just rumbles all the time. ..

I

Two SVS Ultras will kick some serious ass and put out clean and tight bass for you. One is outstanding and two would be unbelievable!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by DUltras yesaughn View Post
    Two SVS Ultras will kick some serious ass and put out clean and tight bass for you. One is outstanding and two would be unbelievable!
    Cheers. Sealed or ported?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perthhifi View Post
    Sealed or ported?
    That is the big debate.

Basically, the SB-13 Ultra has a fixed native tuning of 20Hz. This will get you the room-shaking punch you want for movies, as most of the low frequency action takes place at higher frequencies. You will get plenty of output from a pair of SB-13.

The advantage of the ported models is flexibility. In the case of the PB-13 Ultra, you can vary the tuning by blocking or opening ports. The more ports you open, the lower the sub can play, down to a native tuning of 14Hz. This gets you down into ultra-sonic range that is that twist your gut, that you can't hear because it's below human threshold for hearing. I love this in action and suspense films, personally. There is a trade-off. The more ports you open, the lower the sub's output. However, this is only a problem in really large rooms and the solution is to run more than one sub.

I would get 2 sealed subs if you listen to music and they work great for movies as well (especially two of them).
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I would get 2 sealed subs if you listen to music and they work great for movies as well (especially two of them).
    True, some people describe sealed subs as being more "musical", than ported models. However, I don't have an issue with either of my ported sub's ability to handle music.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Hi Perth and welcome aboard. You’ll find this an informative and fun site.

About year ago I asked the same questions you did. And my room is very close to your measurements. David, Jerry and many others gave me good advice and, in July, I bought a pair of the SVS sb 13 ultras. They are not ported.

Frankly, the speakers are terrific. They replaced a more “powerful” single Thiel sub woofer. While the music out of them has been top notch, I use it primarily for my home theatre. I put a link to my review here below, but let me say that the bass is NOT boomy, but deep, real and moving. Moving means my furniture vibrates, but I am not disturbed or distracted from the sound, it sounds real. And deep. In fact, unlike other subs I have heard, I cannot tell that these subs are on, the blend right in so well. That surprised me.

Please also get two subs!!!! I went from one to two and the results are outstanding. I get a great stereo effect when before I had none, just a booming sound out of the middle.

My brother is busy, so he may not post, but he is sensitive to loud, boomy bass and he likes these subs too. They are really great.

Something else should be mentioned. The people at SVS helped me set these things up, we spent a lot of time on the phone. They gave me settings for my Krell 707 which were better than the setting that Krell gave me.

But, finally let me state that I just really like these subs, they are a PERFECT addition to my system and I recommend them highly.

And the people on this site were so helpful, honest and accurate. I highly value their opinions. We may differ in our preferences , but their opinions have been thoughtful and never have been bad.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/...3-ultras-4364/
    Last edited by Lefisc; 01-20-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Multiple subs are always a better option if you want your bass response to be pretty even, throughout your room. Positioning and EQ are equally as important.

Once you make your purchase, we can advise you further.

Lefisc makes a great point. SVS is more than happy to assist you in recommendations, positioning and setup. I would make a basic drawing of your room with dimensions, list other equipment and your listening habits. Send all that info to SVS in an email, and they will get back with you.

Here below is the email i got after I sent them all the information about my system This took a lot of time, but they did it:

Hi Barry -

I have attached the Quick Start Guide and the Owner's Manual for the SB13-Ultra. But if you follow the below instructions you won't need to refer to them.

* Connect Krell Sub1 output to the left SB13U. Use either L or R Low Level Input on the SB13U.
    * Connect Krell Sub2 output to the right SB13U. Use either L or R Low Level Input on the SB13U.
    * Plug in each SB13U to AC power.
    * At each SB13U, set the Power Mode toggle to Auto.
    * At each SB13U set the Input Level to Normal.
    * At each SB13U turn the bottom rocker switch to Power On.
    * If the display does not immediately light-up, hold down the Feature Controller knob for ~5 seconds and the display will light and then default to Volume.
    * At each SB13U, click the Feature Controller to access the Volume menu. The default is 0 dB (highest). Rotate the controller until -10 dB is displayed and then click to save. We will fine tune the volume on each sub later (see below).
    * Refer to pages 18-22 in Krell manual.
    * Enable front L/R speakers. Set them to Full Range. The subwoofers will not operate on 2 channel music, nor are they needed with the Salon 2 speakers. If you want the subs to work on 2 channel music, set the front L/R to LIM 40 Hz.
    * Enable one (1) center channel. Set it to LIM 60 Hz.
    * Enable L/R surrounds. Set them to LIM 80 Hz.
    * Enable one (1) rear surround. Set it to LIM 80 Hz.
    * Enable Sub1 and Sub2. Set them both to Small + LFE.
    * Choose Surround for the 5.1 Surround menu option (rear speaker will only work when rear channel material is present on DVD). If you want the rear surround to work on 5.1 DVDs, choose Both.
    * Using a tape measure, set the distance for each speaker channel and the subwoofer channels. Measure from the face of the speaker to where your head would be at the primary listening position.
    * Set your SPL meter to C/Slow and the 70 dB scale and place it at head level at the listening position, tilted 45 degrees upward and pointed at the front stage. A tripod works best for this, but is not required.
    * Play the test tone under Manual Noise Sequence for each speaker channel. Adjust the channel level in the Krell so the SPL meter reads 75 dB.
    * Set the Krell Sub1 channel level to -5. Play the test tone for Sub1. Adjust the Volume on the left SB13U until the SPL meter reads 72 dB (it will fluctuate some - so take an average).
    * Set the Krell Sub2 channel level to -5. Play the test tone for Sub2. Adjust the Volume on the right SB13U until the SPL meter reads 72 dB (it will fluctuate some - so take an average).
    * When both subs are playing together, their combined SPL will increase 3-4 dB over a single subwoofer. That is why they are individually set to 72 dB instead of 75 dB.
    * Play some familiar 5.1 source material and make final adjustments (up or down) to the Sub1 and Sub2 channel levels to taste. The final combined subwoofer channel level should blend nicely with the speakers and not overwhelm the sound track.
    * The remote also has a Sub Level shortcut key which allows you to temporarily adjust the output of both sub channels to taste for a given surround sound track. This adjustment is temporary and pressing the Power button resets this control
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Awesome. Thanks everyone. Much appreciaif I keeped. I've ordered the subs. I don't think svs here in Australia offer the trial period, I'd they did my choice would be so much easier.
    I'm needing duel subs in a open plan living areas as well. I'm thinking of I'm not happy with them in the theatre, I add them to the family room and then get a pair of ported units. It's gonna cost me way more, but you only live once why not enjoy.

Thou one thing mentioned is that I w ill not know the sealed units are on and will blend perfectly. That scared me a bit, does that mean I won't notice them? ?
    Also in a open living, meals and kitchen area, will the sealed units get lost?

Might even upgrade to the ported units I
    Keep thinking about it..haha
    Last edited by Perthhifi; 01-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.