Parasound A31 and A23x3 or Anthem PVA7 or PVA4 + A23x1 Amps

Thanks David V, on your thoughts about my setup.

I Just wanted to find out about your others experiences as well. I'm about to order a a31 and either Two or three a23 s for my 9.2 system. The front highs are not a priority but I had spare surround speakers. I have fix 826v towers and matching 800v Centre speaker and a pair of focal 700v surrounds to use as front highs. Rear surrounds are proposed to be Sonance 6.5 inch ceiling speakers. Obviously as you know this setup is a huge outlay. And I thinking maybe I going to far with the three a23 units. In your experience would lesser surround amps. Eg, anthem pva7 would be half the cost of three a23s.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts. ..

My proposed pre amp is going to be either the yamaha cxa5000 pre the marantz av8801, again the marantz is a huge outlay. ... along with a oppo blu ray player, and maybe a separtate cd player if I go the bp103 instead of the bp105. Also would anyone recommend using the xlr or will the rca outputs be sufficient if all my equipment is next to each other. Cheers.

Having a change of thought. Does it matter if I mix the front three channel power amp with a different amp brand for the front highs? Eg, Parasound A31 plus a anthem pva7 for the rear and front highs? Well the tone be different and Noticeable?

A31 plus PVA7
    Or
    A31 plus A23 (front highs) plus PVA4 (rear surrounds)

Also the A23 has 125w vs the PVA7 105w continously driven all channels. We this make a difference? I believe the PVA4 Has s full 125w all driven.

Or three x A23 amps, which then gives me the choice in the future to bridge each A23 giving me 400w a Channel for the fronts. Is this power equal or better than the 250w of the A31?
    Last edited by Perthhifi; 01-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.

I would say that mixing amps wouldn't be a problem. The only case that would, is if one or both of the amps had a very distinct sound coloration. I have always heard that Parasound and Anthem are neutral sounding, so you should be good.

I know that David Vaughn is running Parasound amps, and Barry, aka Lefisc, is running an Anthem amp for his rear channels.

As far as RCA vs XLR, I have both on my equipment and have always used RCA. I suppose it is mainly because I have some decent quality RCA cables.

However, my amp and preamp are literally less than three feet from each other and I don't have any interference from any external sources. It has always been my feeling that XLR is better for long cable runs or in instances where you might have some RF or other types of signal interference.

Im thinking that getting the parasound a23 amps for the rear and front high surrounds is overkill? This is also for the front high surrounds. ?? Some opinions please. A anthem pva7 would be half the cost, that's what's making the choice interesting. If I'm running only six channels of the pva7 , should I be expecting a little more power than the 105w per channels as I'm only using six of the seven? Also is this enough power, or would the parasound a23 s 125w a Channel be much better quality power?
    The anthem pva4 is another option along with a a23 for the front highs. Pva4 does however put out a full 125w. ... this combo would also save me 25% of the cost of three x a23 units. ... what does everyone think?

Anoyher

I haven't heard the Anthem amp, but I would imagine you would be hard pressed to hear any difference between them and the Parasound. At this level of quality, it's going to be a toss up.

Personally, I would go with the more economical solution.

As for running 6 of the 7 channels on the PVA 7, you may get more watts into the 6 channels that are being driven but it wouldn't be a noticeable difference. The rule with wattage is, you have to double the power to get a 2 db increase in sound level.