Parasound A23 Bridged = 400w Option

Hi I wanted to know if bridging the parasound A23 stereo amp, which states will deliver 400w at eight ohmns. Is it fair to say this will then give me more power than the A31 which is 3x250w at eight ohmns.???? So if I got three A23 bridged units, this would deliver more than the A31?

I'm surprised it is rated at 400 watts, bridged mono into 8 ohms. It only lists its stereo output has 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms.

If you don't have a 4 ohm load, it looks like the A23 bridged mono will deliver more power than the A31.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Perthhifi View Post
    Hi I wanted to know if bridging the parasound A23 stereo amp, which states will deliver 400w at eight ohmns. Is it fair to say this will then give me more power than the A31 which is 3x250w at eight ohmns.???? So if I got three A23 bridged units, this would deliver more than the A31?
    The short answer is yes. A bridged A23 is rated at 400W RMS @ 8 Ohms. The A31 cannot be bridged so 250W @ 8 Ohms is the maximum power output.

Still way more power than you'll ever need. My S150s are power hungry monitors and the A51 doesn't break a sweat driving them at insane volume levels.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

So when does one need more power. .. more importantly why do people buy speakersneed so much juice to run

It depends on how efficient your speakers are and how loud you like to play them. The more power you have, the cleaner they sound at louder levels without distortion.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Perthhifi View Post
    So when does one need more power. .. more importantly why do people buy speakersneed so much juice to run
    A more powerful amp gives you more available power for peaks in the audio. If you have more clean power available, there will be no problems with the amp clipping and sending a distorted signal to your speakers. As a result, you can play your system at a higher volume.

There are many different reasons that some speakers need more clean power. Some materials that companies use to manufacturer the speaker cones are stiffer than others, and require more power to move the cone. Stronger magnets require more power and the more complex the speaker's crossover is, the more resistance is created.

It's all about design.

Watts or horsepower, more is better (imo). I read a test once where a guy recorded the sound of scissors closing with a custom built mike and to reproduce the sound accurately while monitoring the waveform on an oscilloscope, he used over a kilowatt and still the top of the signal was clipped! I wish I had saved that article.
    JR

Administrator

If you want 400W I'd highly recommend the JC1 mono's. I have a pair and they are phenomenal.