Is it worth trading in the SVS SB 13 Ultras for the PORTED PB 13s?

You got me thinking on the various sub-woofer threads.

I have the (unported) SVS SB-13 Ultras and I do really like them. SVS has a one year trade in policy would the ported SVS PB-13 Ultras be better? Should I trade them in wile I still have the chance? According to Tracy it’s not just the sound but the effects of really low bass that would be added.

My room is 14 by 18 and you can see my speakers and stuff below. I will use the subs primarily for Home theatre.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    You got me thinking on the various sub-woofer threads.

I have the (unported) SVS SB-13 Ultras and I do really like them. SVS has a one year trade in policy would the ported SVS PB-13 Ultras be better? Should I trade them in wile I still have the chance? According to Tracy it’s not just the sound but the effects of really low bass that would be added.

My room is 14 by 18 and you can see my speakers and stuff below. I will use the subs primarily for Home theatre.
    I would be inclined to make the trade. I have Dual SVS PB12-Plus/2 (900 RMS Watts each) which aren't in the same class as the PB13Ultras. However I'm using them in a 15 x 22 x 8.5 room with all the ports blocked and they will shake the house without noticeable distortion or "boomyness" after calibration. They're nine years old and I would like to replace them with a pair of PB13 Ultras one day or better yet, the replacement for the PB13 Ultras, if this ever happens. I can just hear the reaction of the master of the house, "why do you need them", what's wrong with the ones you have.
    Richard

I'm not sure I would make that trade if you are going to block all the ports anyway. You just increase its footprint of the subs with similar performance characteristics. When a bass heavy scene happens in a movie now do you feel the bass is lacking in any way?
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Honestly David , no! I love these subs. So I thought if it costs me a bit to get something even better, it would be worth it.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Maybe you should ask the folks at SVS. I'm up for getting low, you know that. However, I've had my ported SVS for a long time and I have never had a sealed box SVS sub.

See what insight they can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I'm not sure I would make that trade if you are going to block all the ports anyway. You just increase its footprint of the subs with similar performance characteristics. When a bass heavy scene happens in a movie now do you feel the bass is lacking in any way?
    I'm not sure I can justify the trade but I can rationalize it.
    You would take advantage of the larger cabinet for more power and still have low response.

Tracy's answer is probably the smart approach.
    Richard

Definitely call SVS and speak with Ed Mullen, if possible. He's a sub guru.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine