Thread: BUSTED ORBS?

Cool BUSTED ORBS?

Hi
    I have been happily using an orb audio setup for my fronts and surrounds for over a year with a Denon receiver but last week replaced it with an Onkyo TXNR626 which Amazon had new for $300. I have been wanting a network receiver for a while and when I saw this 7.2 system with 6 inputs, 2 outputs and a phono input I nearly wet my pants!. That's the good news because when I had set it up in place of the Denon the Audyssey setup kept showing the left front as 'NO'. Well, I switched the left to the front at the receiver and retried but got the same result. I immediately thought F*** a bad left channel on my new receiver-Amazon has screwed me! After investigating more thoroughly however using different cheapo test speakers I found that all systems were go-it was the orbs and all 4 of them! Reading the adjoining thread I will also be asking for Will in NY on Monday. Anybody anything? Thanks.

All four of your Orb speakers are suddenly blown, after changing to a new AVR? Sorry, am I understanding that correctly?

Yes that is correct unfortunately! Tested no connectivity with meter between neg and pos!
    Last edited by ALPHUX; 02-08-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Will will take care of the issue.

I would ask him one key question that has little to do with speakers but ask him at some point if he's ever been "April's bitch"?

Sounds like an internal protection circuit issue. Question is, why.

Did you have the AVR power on, while you were wiring them to the new AVR. That and distortion are the two reasons that I could see the protection circuitry would kick in.

measurement was on speaker sorry not receiver!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Sounds like an internal protection circuit issue. Question is, why.

Did you have the AVR power on, while you were wiring them to the new AVR. That and distortion are the two reasons that I could see the protection circuitry would kick in.

can I assume that might get me a better deal?

For the record; the poly cones blew out and they have upgraded aluminum ones for $45 a whack-not too bad! Apparently it wasn't anything I did -just an obsolete design!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    Will will take care of the issue.

I would ask him one key question that has little to do with speakers but ask him at some point if he's ever been "April's bitch"?
    Last edited by ALPHUX; 02-12-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling

I was referring to the Orb's internal protection. Sorry, I still don't see how all four would go out at the same time, unless they were fed a distorted signal or too much power, thus tripping the internal protection.

Oh well, as long as you are happy with the company's solution.