Marantz AV8801 or Anthem AMV50v3D

Hello again.
    It's getting time for me to select all gear to finally purchase after months of reviews and reading. What are everyone's thoughts on these two pre amps noted above. If the price were the same. I'm told the Anthem is the Superior pre amp but I seem to be drawn to the marantz due to its features. My setup is for movies and music with a preference for movies as this will be a dedicated home theater but I also love my music. I'll be running a oppo 105 and if needed the darker edition. Will I be able to tell the audio quality difference between the two? 49 is important but I don't plan on spending big on a projector until pricing is low. My Panasonic AV8801 projector will do for now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The Anthem costs about twice as much as the Marantz and is arguably targeted at a different kind part of the market -- Marantz is not nearly as "user tweakable" and to some people that is big deal. If you (or any family members...) expect the thing to "just work" I would lean heavily toward the Marantz...
    Joseph Zgymunt

Totally agree with Renov8r on this one. Plus, Anthem has had some serious HDMI issues in the past.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Hi again....Ok, im basing my choice if BOTH were the same price....Which i know is a great deal...But i was after 9.1 ( front hights ) as i had spare focal speakers i wanted to use, but could sell them....Also The Anthem has a really poor user interface ( which im sure i wont like when i see it, have seen it online only ), plus the anthem has no internet radio, ethernet, but i believe the Oppo has both....Guess i have read lots of reviews saying the software on the anthem is buggy from time to time, and marnantz would provide better support....Its hard enough to decide when the price is different, let alone when they offer a great deal....I am buying heaps of paradigm gear at the same time, so hence why im getting a good offer....

My main questions really, are will there be a night and day different between the two for sound, in movies and music....or are we talking a 10% better sound one way, and more importantly will i notice it much?

So your both saying stick with Marantz........ok, then that brings me back to the Marantz av8801 vs yamaha cx5000 decision, which im leaning towards Marantz, even thou the Yamaha is a whole $1000 less...I think overall Marantz has priced the AV88001 too high.....

As much as the Anthem is user tweakable, i have two young kids, and i dont think ill find the time, nor have the patience to go that far into tweaking....Ill be happy if i can find 2hrs each evening work nights to enjoy it, then the weekend maybe 1 hr...ha ha ...Thanks every one for your comments so far....more please.

Quote Originally Posted by renov8r View Post
    The Anthem costs about twice as much as the Marantz and is arguably targeted at a different kind part of the market -- Marantz is not nearly as "user tweakable" and to some people that is big deal. If you (or any family members...) expect the thing to "just work" I would lean heavily toward the Marantz...
    Yes, but ive been offered either at the same price...Hence the "What am i to do" help needed.

Perth...if you can get the Yamaha for $1000 less, I'd go that route (I own the Marantz and if I could get the Yamaha and put $1000 in my pocket I'd make the deal right now).
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Perth...if you can get the Yamaha for $1000 less, I'd go that route (I own the Marantz and if I could get the Yamaha and put $1000 in my pocket I'd make the deal right now).
    ok.....three to choose from....is yamahas room correction ok?

I have the AV8801 and I've been happy with it. I thought about Anthem, but really I've just heard too many HDMI issues (though I don't use many inputs).

Got the AV8801 for about $2200 from an authorized dealer about 6 months before the Yamaha became available.

Had the Yamaha been available I'm guessing it would have been a close decision. I do like the Auddysey XT 32 ability to EQ 2 subs.

I found the room correction to be quite good in the Yamaha.
    David Vaughn