UMC 200, speaker distances and crossovers

I posted the following in the Emotiva boards and got some response...but figured I would try here and see what I get.

After running EmoQ (the 200's auto EQ option), the speaker distances were all good except for the sub. It came out to 2.5 feet when really its like 14 feet away from the microphone. If I update the distance to be correct now, how does that affect the changes that EmoQ did? In other words, if the 200 got the distance correct, would the changes that EmoQ made be different? I'm guessing not as I think the distance setting is just for sound timings but thought I would ask. (a couple people seemed to agree with me)

And then similarly, if I change the crossovers picked by EmoQ (it had all my fronts at 250 which is way too high), how would that affect EmoQ? On this question, I think the answer is that it should as picking a lower crossover will have the fronts/center handling more of the sound then the subwoofer did and that might change what EmoQ did around the crossover point. Thoughts?
    • Panasonic TC-65PS64
      Sunfire Cinema Grand amp
      Outlaw 2200 amp
      UMC-200
      NHT 1.4 series speakers (LRS)
      Rocket RSC200 "BigFoot" (C)
      SVS PC+20 w/12.3 driver
      SA 8300HD DVR/Cable Box
      PS3/XBox 360

I always check my distances after running a room EQ setup. If I found that one was off, I would change it to the correct distance. The software does take these distances into consideration when it processes the signal, and adds a correct amount of delay where needed.

I do the same with the speaker size and to a lesser degree, crossover point. Often times a setup program will set limited range speakers to "Large", when they should be "Small". Changing them to small or changing the crossover points will determine how much low frequency material is sent to each speaker. I would suggest setting your crossover higher, if you have a concern. This will route more low frequencies to your sub, which most likely will be better for small limited range speakers, and sound better.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your answer to the first question but not sure I was clear on the second question as I don't think your answer applies. What I am wondering, is if you do change items (like Large to Small and/or the cross over points, say from 120 down to 80), will this affect the auto-eq that you have already ran? I'm not asking what sounds better...just the impact on the auto-eq setting. Does that help?
    • Panasonic TC-65PS64
      Sunfire Cinema Grand amp
      Outlaw 2200 amp
      UMC-200
      SVS PC+20 w/12.3 driver
      SA 8300HD DVR/Cable Box
      PS3/XBox 360

I don't think it will change the actual EQ settings, the AVR simply routes those lower frequencies to a different speaker.

Thanks again for the answer. We are getting there and I think you answered my question. Let me state it another way just to make sure.

For the UMC-200, you run through the auto-EQ function and it tries to set the distances as well as the cross over points for the various speakers. And at the same time, it sets a boosts/cuts for various frequencies as well as the Q/width setting to try and get a flat response. I'm positive you already know all of this but just writing it here for myself.

And after you have run this auto-eq, on the UMC-200, you have the ability to go in and change both the speaker distances and the cross over points for each of the speakers. The distances, I believe we agree...doesn't affect the sound...but more of timing change.

But for the cross over points, say I change it for a specific speaker from 160 down to 80. The sound between 80 to 160 is now redirected to the subwoofer where as before, the specific speaker would handle it.

Given that these frequencies are now being reproduced by the subwoofer, would that change what the auto-EQ would of done around the crossover points if I had the ability to set the cross points and then run auto-eq? Like how much in your experience does the auto-eq of the different processors/receivers handle the cross over point to blend the sound between the subwoofer and the speaker? Or does auto-eq usually just set each speaker on its own (via the pink/white noise that is played) to be flat and changing the cross over would have no impact?

Thanks for the responses.
    • Panasonic TC-65PS64
      Sunfire Cinema Grand amp
      Outlaw 2200 amp
      UMC-200
      SVS PC+20 w/12.3 driver
      SA 8300HD DVR/Cable Box
      PS3/XBox 360

I'm not sure about re running the EQ. I suspect it would reset the crossover points, and everything else, to where they were before.

The test is to determine each speaker's ability to reproduce all frequencies. It sets each speaker's EQ individually, based on its response to the test tone. If you manually change the crossover for your center, for example from 80Hz to 160Hz, it doesn't change the speaker's response to the frequencies above 160Hz, or below for that matter. You are just telling the software to send all frequencies below 160Hz to the sub.

Unless Emotiva has a way to lock in a crossover point, size and distance settings, I bet it would reset them to the same values it did on the first run.

David Vaughn reviewed the UMC 200. Maybe he knows more about how Emotiva's auto setup works.

Thanks. Yes...the UMC 200 does reset everything if you run the auto-eq again. I assume other processors do the same thing. And it makes sense on what you stated about the crossover setting not affecting what the auto-eq did as during the auto-eq setup, sound is only played in one speaker at a time. I would expect if they were trying to blend the speakers, the sound would play out of multiple speakers at the same time (for example, left front/sub, then left front/center, etc...). Thanks again.
    • Panasonic TC-65PS64
      Sunfire Cinema Grand amp
      Outlaw 2200 amp
      UMC-200
      SVS PC+20 w/12.3 driver
      SA 8300HD DVR/Cable Box
      PS3/XBox 360