Talking Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55 Speakers

I have purchased two of the Studio Monitor 55 speakers for up front. A Definitve Technology CS-8060 Center Channel speaker, along with the ProsSub1000. I have researched quite a few speakers for a few months. I started out looking at floor standing speakers and ultimately decided on the SM bookshelf speakers based on overall value. I am waiting for my speakers to come in the next 3 days. I have recently purchased an Onkyo 818 A/V receiver and I'm excited to put everything together.

I am going to be purchasing two surround speakers and wanted to get some feedback. I spoke to the gentleman over at Magnolia HiFi and he recommended I go with the SM45 speakers as surround speakers. Should I go with the SM45 as surround speakers or should I purchase the Definitive Technology SR-8040BP BiPolar surround speakers? What would be the pros and cons of the two in comparison.

Let me know what you think of the setup I have built...Strengths? Weaknesses?
    I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh, I haven't seen or heard either speaker. From what I can tell about the specs and design, here are a few observations.

The SM45 is a direct radiating speaker, where the SR-8040BP is bi-polar. In general, bi-polar speakers are good at filling large areas with sound, as the use nearby walls to bounce sound off of. In theory, this can be good for a large diffuse sound stage. The downside could be that the sound could be too diffuse, meaning it could be muddy or have a less directional sound. This could work for or against you depending on your room and where they are mounted.

The SM45 will provide a very directional sound and they use larger drivers. I really like larger drivers in center and surround speakers. The disadvantage to the SM45 is that the sound would cover a much narrower area, which again, may not be an issue for your situation.

Bottom line, I would try to demo them as best I could. I would imagine thy will sound different. I would also want to have a return option in case the one you bought didn't quite work out in your room. I am not sure that I made your choice any easier, but I want to see photos and read your thoughts about whichever you buy. Good luck.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Josh, I haven't seen or heard either speaker. From what I can tell about the specs and design, here are a few observations.

The SM45 is a direct radiating speaker, where the SR-8040BP is bi-polar. In general, bi-polar speakers are good at filling large areas with sound, as the use nearby walls to bounce sound off of. In theory, this can be good for a large diffuse sound stage. The downside could be that the sound could be too diffuse, meaning it could be muddy or have a less directional sound. This could work for or against you depending on your room and where they are mounted.

The SM45 will provide a very directional sound and they use larger drivers. I really like larger drivers in center and surround speakers. The disadvantage to the SM45 is that the sound would cover a much narrower area, which again, may not be an issue for your situation.

Bottom line, I would try to demo them as best I could. I would imagine thy will sound different. I would also want to have a return option in case the one you bought didn't quite work out in your room. I am not sure that I made your choice any easier, but I want to see photos and read your thoughts about whichever you buy. Good luck.
    Thank You very much Tracy for your information on the two different types of surround speakers. I am now leaning toward the bipolar speakers based on your input, but I will test out both of them in a store demo to see if I can find a "definitive" winner, pun absolutely intended.

I am right now awaiting the delivery of all of my speakers which the Fed EX man/woman will be dropping off today. Hopefully sooner than later. I will definitely show pictures of my setup thus far which in a few hours will include two DEfTek SM55 speakers in the front Bi-Amped with 6ft Sewell 12AWG 259 thread wire with banana plugs on Deftek Stands with special top plates that fit the speakers nicely. A Deftek CS-8060 center channel which has the 8" powered subwoofer, a Deftek ProSub1000, and currently two Energy Take 2 surround speakers (temporary) from my old Energy Take 5 system. The rear Energy speakers are on stands. I have everything powered by a brand new Onkyo TX-NR818. I have a 55" LG HDTV hung on the wall. I look forward to sending pictures in the next few days after everything is setup!