Question Help with Speaker Selection for 7.1 Setup - Sonance vs. RBH Sound

Hi;

I am trying to decide on speaker selection for a 7.1 setup. Here is some details about the rooms setup:

The room is not intended to be used solely as a "Home Theater". The room is also the "family room" / "den".

The room size is 20' x 20' with 11' high ceiling. All walls are wood paneled to the celling but majority of the right and the left side walls is compromised of large French doors, so not much paneling there. But at the front and back wall I will have built-in custom cabinetries that go to the ceiling.

I intend to install the speakers inside the cabinets - one either side of the TV (75" LED) - the Left and Right Channels, one above the TV - the Center Channel, two inside the rear cabinets - the Left and Right Back Surround Channels, and because of lack of space on the side walls, two in-celling speakers for the Left and Right Surround speakers.

One option I had come across is the following selections:

• Sonance Cinema LCR2 for the Left, Center and Right Channel
    • Sonance Cinema SUR2 for the Back Left and Right Surrounds
    • Sonance Visual Performance VP86R SST/SUR Speakers for the Left and Right Surrounds (these are in-ceiling speakers)

I was pretty much sold on these speakers since an A/V Installer was talking so highly of them but then a friend said that I should also look into the RBH Sound in-wall speakers, more specifically the Signature In-Wall Series such as the SI-6100 and SI-744 and etc..

I have done some googling and haven't been able to find much reviews on either of these speakers. Can anyone tell me their opinion about either one of these speaker selections?

I haven't heard these speakers either. Are they ported or sealed? If they are ported, you DON'T want to put them in a cabinet under any means...they will sound horrible.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

You are right about in-wall speaker reviews. Not many reviewers are willing to cut up their walls, for the sake of a review.

You are in luck with the RBH SI-6100. HomeTheaterReview.com reviewed them.
    RBH SI-6100/R Reference In-Wall Loudspeaker Reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I haven't heard these speakers either. Are they ported or sealed? If they are ported, you DON'T want to put them in a cabinet under any means...they will sound horrible.
    David, they are both in-wall speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    You are right about in-wall speaker reviews. Not many reviewers are willing to cut up their walls, for the sake of a review.

You are in luck with the RBH SI-6100. HomeTheaterReview.com reviewed them.
    RBH SI-6100/R Reference In-Wall Loudspeaker Reviewed

Thank you. I googled it as well and strangely enough I didn't come across this review. Good review but $3,000+ is a bit expensive. Hopefully that was the price in 2010. I have to look further into the cost.

They offer the SI-6100 speakers in both Reference and non-reference. My bet is that the non-reference model is cheaper. The review was based on the reference model. Does that really matter?
    Last edited by esabetfard; 03-29-2014 at 03:31 PM.

You mentioned the SI-6100 in your original post. I would imagine the SI-600 is a totally different speaker. Strange that they would offer it in a reference and non reference model.

There is no SI-600. Were you still talking about the SI-6100?

There is no SI-600. Were you still talking about the SI-6100?
    I am sorry, you are absolutely right. That was a typo.

So what you think, Reference vs. non-reference, any considerations?

Spec-wise they look nearly identical. The only difference I see is the reference series can handle 50 more watts, which is really nothing. It does say they use reference grade drivers. I would imagine that means the drivers are tested before assembly. The ones that are within a more narrow specification, are called reference grade.

Just a guess. That's the way many projector companies do it. The components that test closer to the design spec, go into the more expensive projector.

These are 4 ohm speakers, so make sure whatever you have to drive them can handle a 4 ohm load.

Spec-wise they look nearly identical. The only difference I see is the reference series can handle 50 more watts, which is really nothing. It does say they use reference grade drivers. I would imagine that means the drivers are tested before assembly. The ones that are within a more narrow specification, are called reference grade.

Just a guess. That's the way many projector companies do it. The components that test closer to the design spec, go into the more expensive projector.

These are 4 ohm speakers, so make sure whatever you have to drive them can handle a 4 ohm load.
    Thank you for the input Tracy.