Krell 707 evolution AV preamplifier

Hello,

I´ve recently purchased a 707 evolution for my system to be my multichannel AV preamplifier. I was using a Meridian 861 v6 for this function since 2010. The v6 is a great preamplifier. However, I had too many problems with it. The brazilian Meridian dealer is terrible and I had no decent support in any moment. My unit had the same problem more than 2 times and took months to be fixed. Although I think it is a great product, it is not match for 707. With my new krell, I got better sound quality in stereo and multichannel, easier setup and better support from the local dealer. I lost a lot of money with this change. However, I saw a real improvement from what I had. Are there other persons here with similar stories?

Best regards,

Renato

Not me, but I know of one other member here that has the 707.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

KennyT has owned and reviewed both. Maybe he will chime in.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I have owned the Meridian 861 v4 and LOVED its sound. Its complex and quirky but its one of the best AV preamps I've ever heard.

I have also owned the Mark Levinson No. 40, Classe SSP-600 and SSP-800 (loved the Classe) as well as Krell Showcase and I've reviewed the Krell Foundation.

I like the value of the Foundation over the 707 but the 707 is a bad-ass from an audio perspective.

If only I could afford the 707, or justify buying the Foundation for that matter.

Both are truly lust-worthy home theater preamps.

Jerry,

My v6 was a great preamplifier. However, I was not lucky with my unit and the local dealer. After many problems, I opted for 707 evolution, even knowing I would loose a lot of money with this exchange. I would be very disappointed if 707 was not so good as the reviews I read. But I'm very happy with the sound quality I got using the 707 instead the v6. I saw a real improvement in bass and soundstage in stereo. In multichannel, I got rid of an annoying repeated "click" it was doing during film reproduction. It was terrible. One day, it made so many "clicks" and then stopped working. Now I have a clear reproduction all the time with a terrific sound. I'm very pleased with 707, even in this burn in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I have owned the Meridian 861 v4 and LOVED its sound. Its complex and quirky but its one of the best AV preamps I've ever heard.

I have also owned the Mark Levinson No. 40, Classe SSP-600 and SSP-800 (loved the Classe) as well as Krell Showcase and I've reviewed the Krell Foundation.

I like the value of the Foundation over the 707 but the 707 is a bad-ass from an audio perspective.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I have had the krell 707 up and running in my home theater for about 15 months. It is not only a great surroundsound unit, but it is also a terrific two channel amp. I use the Krell phono preamp for my record player too. Although it took me a while to get used to I have nothing but good things to say about the unit. I use it in a 6.1 system. I really do think that this sound is at this point unbeatable . Previously I had a levinson 502 but in every way it did not hold a candle to this unit.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    I have owned the Meridian 861v4, reviewed the 861v6 and also reviewed/owned the Krell Evo 707.

Yep, that 707 is a Monster of a preamp! Not too difficult to set up, built like a tank and rock solid, even when the firmware was being refined. The sound, especially the bass is to doe for! The Meridian is also a greta piece, sorry to hear of your troubles with it! The Meridian is so smooth and liquid while the Krell is more defined and has much more detail in the bottom end.

The Krell runs HOT, even in standby, but so what? For the sound? I never worried about the electric bill!

The 707 is not more hot than my Accuphase E-560. If it doesn't stop working during stereo or multichannel reproduction, I will be very happy with it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
    I have owned the Meridian 861v4, reviewed the 861v6 and also reviewed/owned the Krell Evo 707.

Yep, that 707 is a Monster of a preamp! Not too difficult to set up, built like a tank and rock solid, even when the firmware was being refined. The sound, especially the bass is to doe for! The Meridian is also a greta piece, sorry to hear of your troubles with it! The Meridian is so smooth and liquid while the Krell is more defined and has much more detail in the bottom end.

The Krell runs HOT, even in standby, but so what? For the sound? I never worried about the electric bill!