Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Guys!

My short list for receiver was the Anthem, Cambridge Audio Azure 651 or Marantz. Music is most important to me and my take is that the Cambridge is probably the best amplifier of the three, but that with correction the Anthem will give the best results in my living room.

As for the speakers, I will concentrate on the 2.1 speakers first. I was very impressed by the B&W CM1s. Later this week I should hear the Anthem with Paradigm speakers. I would still like to hear the Gallo Strada 2, as I now suspect the salesman had never listened to them. I need to slow down a bit so that I won't be disappointed later.

I really like Cambridge Audio, especially the way they build their power supplies. If I were in the market for another AVR, they would be on my short list, for sure.

Marantz also makes a fine AVR. I have been running one of their pre/pros for the past couple of years.

Thanks everyone for their advice, especially Jerry!

I did buy the orbs for my centre and surround speakers. Will in NYC was great to deal with and I am very happy with the sound and the way they blend with my other speakers.

Also, I did get the Anthem MRX 510 receiver. The Anthem room correction has made a big improvement to how the system sounds in our apartment, as it is not acoustically friendly. I settled on Gallo Strada 2/TR-3d for the main speakers. I had initially considered Magnepan because that is the type of sound I was after, but they were never going to fit in the space we have or be approved by my better half. This review of the Strada 2 is what pushed them over the line for me:

CNET Review

I am really happy with how my system sounds. I really enjoy my music, and my wife doesn't want to go to the cinema anymore because it sounds better at home!

Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    Thanks everyone for their advice, especially Jerry!

I did buy the orbs for my centre and surround speakers. Will in NYC was great to deal with and I am very happy with the sound and the way they blend with my other speakers.

Also, I did get the Anthem MRX 510 receiver. The Anthem room correction has made a big improvement to how the system sounds in our apartment, as it is not acoustically friendly. I settled on Gallo Strada 2/TR-3d for the main speakers. I had initially considered Magnepan because that is the type of sound I was after, but they were never going to fit in the space we have or be approved by my better half. This review of the Strada 2 is what pushed them over the line for me:

CNET Review

I am really happy with how my system sounds. I really enjoy my music, and my wife doesn't want to go to the cinema anymore because it sounds better at home!
    I am curious as to why you went with Orbs for the center and Surrounds instead of the Gallo's all around?

For apartment living consider a good set of headphones (think Sennheiser) for high end sound for less $$.
    JR

Banned!!!

Salesmen: They all have a (biased) opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
    Would you listen to a car salesman? There's really no wrong or right.

Droidboarder,
    I chose the Orbs purely because of budget. I was supposed to stay under $5k total, but actually went a little over. The Strada 2s are definitely a big step up from the Orbs, but the Orbs blend nicely (aurally and visually) with the Gallos. The Gallo A'Diva is rated at 4 ohm and I wasn't confident the Anthem receiver could drive it; plus it was more expensive than the Orbs. If my budget was bigger, I definitely would have had a full set of Gallo speakers.

The Strada 2 is not as "focused" as the B&W CM1 that I heard, but the sound is open and very precise - which is what I was after.

Mr Hookup,
    I basically agree with your statement, but I would add that there really is a spectrum there - from the one pushing for a sale to the one actually trying to help you find the right product for you. The greatest difficulty was that every speaker I listened to was being driven by much better equipment than I could afford, and it was impossible to say how much of the sound was from "behind the speaker".

I do feel a bit guilty that I took so much time in different stores listening to different products, only to order off the web. But it was a leap of faith, as I never heard the Strada 2 in a store. Luckily for me, it has turned out well.