Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small Round Speakers

I'm looking for some satellite speakers for home theatre. Our living room is 13' x 17', and my wife doesn't wants visually obtrusive speakers. So I'm thinking of small round speakers.

Does anyone have real experience with:
    - Gallo A'Diva/A'Diva SE
    - Orb
    - Focal Dome
    I'm willing to spend extra for better sound, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for the rear surrounds.

Thanks in advance.

Banned!!!

First, let me welcome you to the forum. In terms of the Gallo's & the Orb's, they are both excellent systems, and they have a very designer look. However, IMHO,I prefer the look of a In Ceiling or In wall speaker's simply because nothing is sticking out of the wall or ceiling, which draws attention to itself, despite their small footprint. Most walls & ceilings are painted white, so speakers with other colors also calls attention to them. (to each his/her own). In terms of most satellite speakers, the key is the Subwoofer, which completes the full range sound. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    I'm looking for some satellite speakers for home theatre. Our living room is 13' x 17', and my wife doesn't wants visually obtrusive speakers. So I'm thinking of small round speakers.

Does anyone have real experience with:
    - Gallo A'Diva/A'Diva SE
    - Orb
    - Focal Dome
    I'm willing to spend extra for better sound, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for the rear surrounds.

Thanks in advance.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Orb or Focal.

I am friends with Orb and if you call Will at the New York store - he will take VERY GOOD care of you. Drop my name, please.

Did you read the review of the People's Choice 10th Anneversary System by Dennis Burger last week on HomeTheaterReview.com? 4-stars. Really good. Killer upgrade path. Nice updates on a killer design. Garry was the head designer of Gallo way back in the day.

Let us know what you end up with.

I have never personally heard Orb's but I love the design. Seems very "wife-friendly" too. They seem best suited for medium sized rooms, though, which I suppose is perfect for most people.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Thanks all!

We have brick walls, so in-wall is not an option. That is why I was drawn to the small ball speakers to keep my wife happy. I want to keep my ear happy as well, and I was hoping to get some feedback from actual listeners about the merits of these options.

Gallo present themselves as "the original and the best", but I have heard lots of positive comments on the Orbs as well. Reviews of the Focals are positive as well, but I haven't seen any comparisons between them.

One thing I noticed is that the Gallo SE series are a nominal 4ohm, 85dB speaker. Does that rule it out for a normal (Anthem MRX510) receiver?

Dave

(Jerry, thank you for the connection. As it happens, I'm visiting NY this weekend. My time is limited, but I'll try to get to the Orb store.)

I've never heard the Gallos. The Orbs are going to be great performers for the money, while the Focals are going to be a higher-end speaker.

Anthem rates the MRX510 at 8 ohms, from what I read online. This doesn't mean it can't properly drive a 4 ohms load. Take a look at the owner's manual or call Anthem to be sure. 85db isn't particularly efficient for a small speaker.

Banned!!!

Most AV Recievers prefer an 8 ohm load. However, I think it's best to turn it around and read what it says near the speaker terminals. Many of them say "use 8 - 16 ohm speakers only". Where you can run into problems is when you are trying to do some form of whole house audio for multiple speakers on the Reciever. You then need to measure the load with an impedance meter (I have the Audioplex meter). This is not to be confused with a Fluke or that type of meters. That measures resistance; not impedence.

Showroom Experience & now re-thinking

While visiting NYC I found a little time to visit an audio store that carries Anthony Gallo speakers. I also need to confess that I haven't bought anything yet, but had decided on the Anthem MRX510 and Gallo Strada 2s for the front of the 5.1 system I'm putting together.

The salesman immediately recommended an Onkyo TX-NR receiver over the Anthem. He said the new NR838 is less expensive and more capable.

He also strongly recommended B&W speakers over the Gallos: M1 satellites and CM series for the front. The CM1s were amazing to listen to. Now I'm reconsidering my whole plan, and trying to find words to explain to my wife that black boxes do sound the best.

In the end I didn't get to hear any of the Gallos at all, so I am a little concerned that I'm being led. However, the sound of the CM1s would make me very, very happy.

Banned!!!

I believe that some A/V salesman can be like car salesmen when they want to "steer" you towards, or away from certain brands. Beware. Onkyo better then Anthem? What?

No way I would put an Onkyo AVR over the Anthem.

Onkyo has recently been plagued by reliability issues, but hopefully they have them straightened out. As far as sound quality and build quality of the internal amps, I would go with an Anthem.