Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by green giant View Post
    A huge cost difference. Not like I could afford the SSP-800 new (or even used I suspect)!

What did you like better about the Classe though, in comparison to the others. Just wondering.
    I thought you asked for less than $10k, I think the Classe' SSP-800 (which I still own) retails for $9,500.

I would agree with Tracy, having owned the Krell Evo 707, that would be my first pick. It is giant, runs hot, hell, is too hot to touch in idle, but has bass definition I have never heard from a pre/pro. I would also add in the Meridian 861 series to your list, you COULD pick up an older one, say v4 for a few thousand dollars and get their HDMI switcher for a few more, it is a two box solution, but one of the best sounding pre/pro' ever. Yes, the Classe' is awesome as well. Personally, I find the Anthems really good for HT but I prefer the other more for music listening, YMMV. The Anthem does stretch your image if you use an anamorphic lens and I think this may be the only pre/pro to include tis feature, a big plus if you need it!

Quote Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
    I thought you asked for less than $10k, I think the Classe' SSP-800 (which I still own) retails for $9,500.

Heck... 10k was for fun, though if I were to stretch the budget that would be my top end short of winning the lottery.

I don't know much about meridian at all. But... a Krell foundation or used ssp-800/anthem MIGHT, just might be something I could stretch for in the next year or so.

Music is most important to me as I feel for theater any of these bad boys will do a killer job. As for room correction, I have held on to an older SVS AS-EQ1 if I need my subs EQ'd as many of the higher processors don't do as much room EQ it seems. (I know Anthem has the ARC, but classe doesn't have anything, and Krell's seems to have some quirks).

Fun to kick around.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I liked the overall sound of the Classe' a bit better. The fit and finish was much nicer but you are right its a LOT more $$$...

I listened to the Datasat rs201 with a McIntosh amp. It is outstanding!! I believe it sounds better than all the processors in the title of this thread.

The Datasat rs201, is a new one on me.

I have never personally heard the Datasat RS-20i, but have heard a little about it.

Everyone raves about it! It is likely the only high end pre-pro I have not owned other than Theta's…..

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I liked the overall sound of the Classe' a bit better. The fit and finish was much nicer but you are right its a LOT more $$$...
    Hello Jerry,
    Can you please provide more details about how SSP-800 outperforms Foundation? Interested only in sound characteristics, leaving the price difference and features aside.
    Thanks!

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Sonically, I would give the nod to the Classe and the nod for value to the Krell.

The sonic differences are pretty slight. Both are VERY GOOD. I heard them in two different systems thus it wasn't an apples to apples comparison.

Simply, you can't lose with either of them. Both great selections.

Jerry, if the Classe sounds better than the Krell, then I need to hear one of those at some point. I'm extremely impressed with the Krell (best sounding pre/pro I've had in my system) and I'm not looking forward to putting my Marantz back in the chain--and I really liked the Marantz before this showed up!!!

Jerry, if you get a chance, check out their Chorus 7-channel amp...their iBias technology really works well. Class A bliss in a small package that doesn't necessarily double as a space heater (it gets hot for sure, but not too hot).
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Does the lack of Audyssey or OSD bother anyone, that has reviewed or auditioned the Krell?