Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dream Pre-Pro? - Krell Foundation, Classe SSP-800, Bryston SP3, Anthem D23D, other?

Just wondering what others opinions are, or dreams are...

So you can pick any HT Pre-Pro on the market and SOUND QUALITY (music) is your number one priority (I assume that video anymore will be handled by folks Oppo's anyways).

Which one do you pick? (Sub 10k retail...)

Reviews on all are really good. The Krell is the newest, the Anthem might have the most powerful room correction, the Classe and Bryson are supposed to just work well and sound great.

Just looking for thoughts. Raining here today...

The Krell Foundation and Classe SSP-800 are certainly lust worthy.

Dream pre/pro for me, would be between the Classe and the Krell Evolution 707 3D. If you gonna' dream, dream big.

Kris Deering has an Anthem and I heard his setup a few weeks ago. Mind-blowing would be an understatement. Best sounding room I've ever been in, bar none.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Kris Deering has an Anthem and I heard his setup a few weeks ago. Mind-blowing would be an understatement. Best sounding room I've ever been in, bar none.
    Was it the D2 or the AVM50?

What else did he have cooking with that set-up as far as amps and speakers? Always interested to hear about killer set-ups.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I have owned the SSP 800 and reviewed the Krell.

Both are good. I think I liked the sound of the Classe better but that comes at a significant price. Anthem is good too. The Krell is the best value and is VERY GOOD. The Classe is the best overall package. The Anthem has some wonderful features.

Quote Originally Posted by green giant View Post
    Was it the D2 or the AVM50?

What else did he have cooking with that set-up as far as amps and speakers? Always interested to hear about killer set-ups.

D2...he was powering Legacy Audio speakers with Emotiva monoblocks. According to Kris, he tested the Emotivas next to Parasound JC-1s and couldn't tell a difference, despite their significant price difference. The room has been professionally treated as well. Here's a link to his AVS thread with pictures and equipment list: The System - AVS Forum
    David Vaughn

From the photos, looks like he has Parasound in his rack and the Emotiva monos up front.

I've never heard the Legacy Audio speakers, but they sure do look nice.

I hadn't either and they sound great. The imaging in his room is jaw-dropping!
    David Vaughn

I'm sure the ARC and the room treatments help a ton. With the imaging, I'll bet it's those tweeters in the Legacy speakers.

I tried the Emotiva UMC 200. Thought it performed well, but it smelled funny. Yeah, I know, electronics smell but it was like burning rubber. I thought for the money it was a pretty awesome performer, but even if I hadn't upgraded I wouldn't have been able to deal with the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    I have owned the SSP 800 and reviewed the Krell.

Both are good. I think I liked the sound of the Classe better but that comes at a significant price. Anthem is good too. The Krell is the best value and is VERY GOOD. The Classe is the best overall package. The Anthem has some wonderful features.

A huge cost difference. Not like I could afford the SSP-800 new (or even used I suspect)!

What did you like better about the Classe though, in comparison to the others. Just wondering.