Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommendations for a CD/SACD Player

I am not satisfied with my Krell Cypher CD/SACD player. Does anyone have a suggestion?

But first let me explain:
    After 18 years I traded in my Mark Levenson 30.5/31.6 combination because it was breaking down a lot and I wanted a smaller easier, better unit that could play an SACD.

I got the ML 512 and that broke down six months later. They couldn’t fix it and six months after that they sent me another, broken 512. This went on for nearly three years!!!!!! They just could not get one that worked, so as much as I like the ML sound, I am not going back there!

The sound that I like perhaps is more musical and less detail. I heard the Esoteric K-3 in my home and did not like it, again great detail, but not musical. I have the Krell Cypher, but again, I have never gotten used to the sound. Does anyone have a suggestion for a CD/SACD player?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

So I assume you don't care for the sound of your BDP-105, as well.

I know it may be hard to describe, but what do you find displeasing about the players you have owned? Have you considered a player that incorporates tubes? I know Cary audio makes one, and Shanling Audio makes a downright sexy-looking CD/SACD player, that also has tubes.

Name:  shanling.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  32.1 KB

Banned!!!

I can only guess that your OPPO 105 is just not high end enough for you. It does SACD, DVD Audio and has the DAC all built in. The CD format, in general is fading away to newer technology anyway. (unfortunately).

Banned!!!

Lefisc: Check these out. They are top of the line but you will need deep pockets for most of these:

2012 Recommended Components Disc Players, Transports & Media Players | Stereophile.com

I should sign my name more: Barry

The trouble that I have is that I can't go and hear these players as i did in the old days. There aren't that many stores. I have looked at the later lists from Stereophile and their good suggestions I just need a local store to hear them. So I was hoping to get one or two suggestions here.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Banned!!!

Barry: Where is local for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    I should sign my name more: Barry
    You can create a "signature".

Click Settings at the top right of the forum.
    Under My Settings, on the left side of the forum, click Edit Signature.

You'll see a Edit Signature dialoge box that you can type a custom signature, even add an image.

Barry,

i went through many of the top tiered players. So have many friends in the industry, we all prefer the EMM Labs gear. I had the TSD1 transport and DAC 2 SE, and amazing combo! The DAC2x is out now and is supposed to be even better. For best performance you want the EMM Labs transport as well. I tried to avoid buying it, but when I tried even my best transports, it simply sounded better with the EMM Labs transport, so much so it was worth the $ for it.

As for me, I have never really liked the DCS gear, it just was too sterile and lacked musicality to me, the Playback Designs also didn't sound as open and easy as the EMM Labs.

First, before I go further, I am on Long Island
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Kenny, I can't thank you enough" You wrote, " (DCS)it just was too sterile and lacked musicality to me. That's exactly what has been my problem. I now have to find a store that sells EMM, the do not list it on their site.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp